cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM 3.0 + TP-Link - Network sharing

unlimitedlove
Joining in

Hi guys,

After a day of troubleshooting, I'm hoping you're able to help..

I have a VM 3.0 hub and a TP-Link Archer MR400 AC1200. I have the hub downstairs and the TP-Link upstairs, linked via a CAT6.  Each router is plugged into a computer. I would like each to share large files between each of these computers.

I have tried: shared experiences within Windows, attempted to use D-Lan but the downstairs PC wasn't visible to the upstairs PC. I have created new inbound/outbound firewall rules to open ports 59486 + 59487.

Right now, I'm happy to have my internet working both upstairs and down after playing around with the DNS settings. (Gave up on putting the VM 3.0 in modem mode)

Is what I'm asking particularly difficult for a non-tech guy? Do I require paid software? What am I missing?

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not sure I follow this - the MR400 is really a router designed for a 3G/4G sim card to provide wifi via the mobile phone network.

Is that how you are using it or are you plugging it into your Hub via the WAN port ? With the Hub still in router mode and so you are using the MR400 in bridge or access point mode I assume?  Should work.

Will be something in the MR400 settings causing the issue.

TBH if I wanted what you are trying to do I wouldnt use the MR400 (or any other router) save that as a 4G fallback option - and keep it simple and connect a proper wireless access point on the end of the Cat6 cable - something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.