Menu
98ron98
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VIRGIN have deliberately over subscribed their broadband

A Virgin engineer came to my house yesterday and swapped my router for a hub 3.

I now have NO service whatsoever and the 'help' lines are telling me that I have to wait until the 17th October before service is resumed.

VIRGIN have deliberately over subscribed their broadband -

The engineer told me this himself. he said that the help staff online and on the phone ARE BRIEFED SO THEY SHOULD NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE THIS FACT.

I asked him why he was telling me and he said 'because it's corrupt'

You are being lied to people. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: VIRGIN have deliberately over subscribed their broadband

its called contention. You can't only sell the bandwidth they have at the costs you pay.

If you want the bandwidth you pay for all the time you need a lease line and its close to £1000/month for 10mbps

98ron98
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't think you read the post.

They advertise UP TO 200mbps and charge £38.98 per month. At the moment they are delivering ZERO to any of my wifi devices.

You can't take money off customers and give them nothing back.

0 Kudos
het69
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your point has absolutely nothing to do with over-subscription.  It's just a fault.  I'm guessing it's just that the new hub hasn't been activated.

0 Kudos
98ron98
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes. You are guessing... and wrong. 

It is not a fault it is deliberate and this is the stock explanation when you complain:

There is a maintenance going on to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds you may be experiencing particularly at peak times will be resolved (expected date 17 Oct)

0 Kudos
98ron98
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And it wouldn't be the first time...     express_logo

Virgin Media broadband issues - Why customers aren't getting the speeds promised VIRGIN MEDIA has apologised to customers after admitting the broadband speeds it promised to customers could not be achieved.
By 
PUBLISHED: 08:02, Thu, Jul 6, 2017 | UPDATED: 08:02, Thu, Jul 6, 2017
Virgin Media customers aren't getting speeds promised

Virgin Media has been forced to apologise after a BBC Watch Watchdog investigation found many customers were not getting speeds they were promised.

In fact, some users of the popular broadband service were found to be getting just 3 per cent of the download speeds they'd signed up for.

Watchdog discovered that Virgin Media had been signing up too many customers in certain parts of the country which meant the service was over subscribed.

This over-utilisation caused users to see their speeds plummet at busy times with the network unable to cope with the amount of traffic flowing through its cables.

Despite expecting speeds of up to 200Mbps, some users were struggling with simple tasks such as streaming video, music and games, Watchdog found.

0 Kudos
98ron98
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

chief executive Tom Mockridge, said: "We apologise for the inconvenience to these customers and have resolved the issues they raised.

"All of our sales agents have been re-briefed on the company's sales policy, and we are providing additional training to ensure everyone complies with it."

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

2017 new post.
And you are wrong over subscription slows speeds. If you are getting ZERO you have a fault.

You can **bleep** about it all you want but if you come here with such a closed view on the fault you wont accept help to get it fixed you are wasting everyones time.

98ron98
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've spent hours trying to get it fixed - more time than Virgin Media.

You are not helping either.

0 Kudos