cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Hub Modem Mode - Red Light

danpluck
Joining in

Hello,

I have always run my V6 in Router mode and recently decided to expand my network due to some room changes. 

I have added a Net gear GS308E which is wired directly to the V6 hub (port 1 on both devices), the net gear has various bits connected to it including a PC, NAS, Google Nest Wi-Fi Router etc.

As i type this the V6 Hub is in Router mode, providing internet to the switch and all connected devices with no issues.  When I enable modem mode on the V6, it reboots, the status light goes red, connectivity goes down.

I have done a quick search and to pre-empt the question, yes the V6 is warm/hot.

Factory reset on the Hub (to put it back into modem mode) and the switch and everything works...

Would appreciate any advice on how i can get the V6 to run in modem mode, with the setup above and work!

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You need a type of NAT to map source MAC's of devices to one MAC of your one WAN IP so you need to look at a router typically.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance you could elaborate on that a little please mate?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Modem mode will not work with many devices each with a different MAC the hub in modem mode only allows one source MAC for one WAN IP. You need to look at getting a home router.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RT-AX55-Dual-band-MU-MIMO-AiProtection-Adaptive/dp/B09BZLRQPY/ref=sr_1_7?dc...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

GS308E Is a network switch only, it’s not a router. The only thing that you can connect into the VM hubs when in modem mode is a router, the switch can then be plugged into that router. When a hub3 is in modem mode the LED will be magenta, this can look red to some people.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2