Menu
Mojo1990
Tuning in
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: .Re: V6 Box downstairs - poor wireless reception, moCa possibility?

Okay, so I'm set on going for the wired Ethernet solution - running two Cat6 cables outside & eventually connecting to my Superhub. I have a few questions:

1) Do I require both a wall outlet installed and a Gigabit switch? Or can I connect both Ethernet cables straight into the Ethernet wall outlet without a switch? https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-cat-6-rj45-twin-outlet-kit/96906?tc=MB4&ds_kid=92700019905977818&g...

My brother was also inquiring about "female to male (or vice versa) end / splitter " or something? Smiley Embarassed

2) As I only require connecting two ehernet ports (1 from TV & 1 from V6 Box) I have decided running two cables outside would be easily done. So I probably won't even be needing a Gigabit switch. 

3) Curious to know if whether these Gigabit switches will split (impede) the signal/speed? 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator

1) if you use two cables and only have two devices, you do not need a network switch. Although a 5 port unmanaged switch is only about £10 or £12! 

2) Need more info on what type of cable your brother is splitting?

3) Network Switches do not impede Ethernet net signals at all, if could be said that they boost them. If you wish to run a cable over say 600m you would put a switch in the middle because you cannot go over 305m.

Very good tough external Ethernet cable is expensive out £120 for 300m or 0.50p per metre. I just use trunking behind my downpipes and internal cable as I had a lot spare.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mojo1990
Tuning in
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've measured the the length of the outer wall along the existing coax cable to my SH3 and I would be okay with either 30M or 50M length CAT6. £15 - £20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EOTHCZY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A1C674QYW0QIQJ&psc=1

So my brother was just thinking out loud about how the cables will fit into either end. We've never done this before so he was anticipating maybe the work might involves having to crimp?

0 Kudos