Menu
Mojo1990
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box downstairs - poor wireless reception, moCa possibility?

Hello everyone, I will try to explain my situation and problem as best as I can. I am looking for a network solution to maintain stable network to my V6. 

So I've got my Superhub 3 installed and wired upstairs next to my main desktop computer. My main Television (4k) setup + V6 Box is situated downstairs in my main living room. 

My living room downstairs was previously a Garage so WiFi connection is either usually intermittent or weak. May I kindly request assistance in finding the ideal solution for a strong (possibly wired- like) connection?

My younger brother had suggested a MoCa adaptor (hub) unit solution which makes use of the Coax cable. They seem to be very popular in America, but I haven't found any forum threads in the UK. I had tried using a Powerline solution, however the signal was weak (fluctuating from 20 to 40mbps) and 4k content was buffering every few seconds.

0 Kudos
ciaran2506
Up to speed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box downstairs - poor wireless reception, moCa possibility?

I would be cautious about using a MoCa adapter, I believe the frequencies used here sent by VM up and down your line are different to those in the States, so it could cause more problems than it might fix.

Obviously running a dedicated Ethernet adaptor would be the best solution but assuming that is not possible?

Powerline adapters are a popular solution, there are a few different specs like AV2 and G.hn, but if you have tried them clearly something on your home electrical circuit is causing interference.

You could try a Wi-Fi extender somewhere, so your V6 connects to that, and it sends the signal on to your SH3 (not exactly but that's the rough idea)

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Universal-Booster-Extender-EX2700-100UKS/dp/B00NIUHAG6?ref_=fsclp_p...

Highlighted
Mojo1990
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box downstairs - poor wireless reception, moCa possibility?

Thank you for your response and assistance! I have had a chance to glance over some more details with regards to MoCa implementation and it appears they have a 2.0 version which should (I think) comply with the frequencies?

I will definitely be looking into experimenting with a wireless Extender as you kindly suggested. 🙂  Alternatively I have also been thinking about routing an Ethernet wire from the V6 Box > directly outside > running along the existing coax cable > eventually ending up upstairs > superbhhub. 

0 Kudos
ciaran2506
Up to speed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

.Re: V6 Box downstairs - poor wireless reception, moCa possibility?

I've had a quick read about MoCa 2.0 and the spec says it operates between 500 – 1650MHz. There is a difference in channel width between DOCSIS (used in the States) and EuroDOCSIS (used here and in the rest of Europe) but I'm not sure if this will have any impact for you.

Especially for 4K running an actual Cat5e/Cat6 Ethernet cable will be best, but obviously this depends on your property layout/willingness to run cable etc.

A wireless extender, whilst not guaranteed it will fix it entirely, should help. If you buy one from somewhere with great returns like Amazon you can always just send it back.

griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: .Re: V6 Box downstairs - poor wireless reception, moCa possibility?

Not exactly sure how you are going to install the MoCa, as from what I can gather it needs an existing coax installed to work. If you haven't got an existing coax run between Hub and router you will have to install it in which case you might as well run ethernet. Bear in mind you will not be able to run data through the coax feeding the Hub or V6. The way I understand it from the MoCa videos. the connection is something like Hub> ethernet> Moca Adapter>Coax> MoCa WAP or Adapter> ethernet.

The Wireless repeater is unlikely to work considering the level difference and the living room used to be a garage which usually means a thick external wall for the wireless to penetrate. Wireless repeaters need to receive a decent signal to be of any benefit, so positioning is critical.

I am surprised you did not get very good results from the powerline adapter. Did you test it through the powerline adapter's ethernet port or wireless? If it was wirelessly I would test the Powerline adapter through it's ethernet port to see if it  is the electrical circuit or wireless being the problem. If it is the wireless side, then that might be fixable.

Personally, I would tend to run Ethernet cable.

Mojo1990
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dear Ciaran, 

Quick question with regards to the wireless Extender option. May I request a strong performing unit/model? Price is not an issue for me fortunately so I'll be more than happy to pay out for better results. I'm actually also thinking of using the Extender upstairs to boost wireless reception into my room which is across the landing from my Superhub (two breeze block walls).

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable every time, it’s so cheap compared to most other solutions, about £50 for a 1000ft 305m. If you use it be sure to run at least two cables for redundancy. I’ve put in many cables, fully hidden, around my home and now have 3 network switches using LAGs to give diverse routing redundancy and extra speed. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
ciaran2506
Up to speed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There's any number of units out there on the market these days, heres a review of some and their ratings/pricings: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-wi-fi-extenders

As griffin has said, the extender may not work, but then it might do if you can get it positioned well and your building doesn't hamper the signal too much. Like I said best to get one from somewhere that has good returns, so if you find it does not work you can send it back.

Ethernet cable is obviously ideal over any extender, but not every building is suitable to run it in if you don't want cables/trunking/conduit on your walls, or don't want to start chasing your walls out, or don't have the expertise/want to pay someone to do it.

Mojo1990
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dear Griffin,

Thank you for the information!

May I kindly also request a good Ethernet cable to run outside (I'm anticipating it would have be weather proof) and also a double (or tripple) Ethernet Wall (Outlet) unit? I'm now strongly considering the Ethernet option. The reason I'll need two (or maybe more) is because I also want to connect my UHD TV to my Superhub as well as my V6. 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You will only need one as you can always use a Gigabit switch to increase the number of connections. However, it will be little additional work to run another one for redundancy as Tudor has suggested, just in case one goes bad.

I would go for a CAT 6 cable and they are somewhat  waterproof by nature as they have a plastic coating, assuming the plastic doesn't degrade in UV over time. You could put them in trunking for extra protection and a neater look

Did you manage to test the Powerline adapters through the ethernet port? It would be interesting to find out what is causing the poor performance.

On the wireless side, the extender would halve your wireless speeds straight off the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless. Block walls would provide a significant barrier to a wireless signal, two walls would probably reduce the strength by about 90% depending on thickness. So it is better to circumnavigate these obstacles with a wired solution.