cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly Useless Broadband

deans6571
Wise owl

Over the past month, VM had the rude cheek to increase my bill by £20 and yet in the same space of time, my road has had THREE Broadband faults which CLEARLY have not been fixed properly. 

17th Feb’22 - Fault Ref: 010447776

Today, 1st March - Fault Ref: 010514355 (this showed as fixed earlier on. It CLEARLY is NOT fixed)  

Today, 1st March - Fault Ref: 010514973  

Each and EVERY time, the ETA on the fix keeps moving and/or it gets fixed for a day but then resurfaces AGAIN  

This is NOT down to my Hub or equipment as I know for a fact that these issues are affecting  my WHOLE street in the CR2 9DQ area. 

It is an absolute and utter joke. 

1. WHAT IS THE ISSUE EXACTLY AND WHY IS IT CAUSING THE WHOLE ROAD TO LOSE INTERNET????

2.WHY ISN’T THE ISSUE BEING FIXED PROPERLY SO IT DOES NOT RE-OCCUR (it’s been supposedly ‘fixed’ twice and yet the same issue keeps coming back)???

SORT. THIS.  OUT.

😡🤬

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@deans6571 wrote:

This is NOT down to my Hub or equipment as I know for a fact that these issues are affecting  my WHOLE street in the CR2 9DQ area.

Just out of interest, how do you know this?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

other ISPs are available ...

@japitts wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

Just out of interest, how do you know this?

Because our road has a Whatsapp group (I live in a Cul-de-Sac) so every time a neighbour's internet goes down, they post a message in the group chat and all the other VM customers in the road then confirm their internet is also down.

@Client62 wrote:

other ISPs are available ...

That isn't the point.

The point is that VM put up a message on the My Virgin Media app showing an issue, then hours later once the ETA Fix time has passed, they post that it is fixed, but then several hours later, it all goes down again and then the cycle repeats 1-3 times. Clearly the issue was NOT fixed properly.....

As an update, the app now shows that the issue is fixed and our internet has been stable since 10pm last night (evening of Wednesday 1st March'23).

But, there is no excuse for THREE faults to show (as per my original post) in the space of a matter of weeks......

I've seen something called a Virgin Media Back Up Hub for when people's internet goes down but can't actually find any info anywhere (seems to be a trial, possibly?).

Any SuperUsers know any further info or suggest a cheapish alternative (I know EE have 4G/5G back up hubs but they seem pricey as you have to fork out a big substantial initial cost for the product + a monthly fee) ? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@deans6571 wrote:

I've seen something called a Virgin Media Back Up Hub for when people's internet goes down but can't actually find any info anywhere (seems to be a trial, possibly?).

Any SuperUsers know any further info or suggest a cheapish alternative (I know EE have 4G/5G back up hubs but they seem pricey as you have to fork out a big substantial initial cost for the product + a monthly fee) ? 

I have read that too in the past. Think it was at the link below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/back-up-hub

When I looked at it though the info seemed that it was nothing more than a second mobile hotspot device you could use if the main broadband was offline and nothing more than that. I think BT/EE offer a combined package which automatically switches over to mobile when the main BT broadband goes down.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fair enough re your street's social media group, but hand-in-hand with that is that each affected user needs to be reporting the loss-of-service. It gives strength to the area fault argument, but also makes sure each user is eligible for LOS payments if the outage goes on that long.

@deans6571 wrote:

But, there is no excuse for THREE faults to show (as per my original post) in the space of a matter of weeks......

That's a tad harsh I think - unless you know the nature of the fault and are hands-on with "boots on the ground", it's always easy to criticise. It's unfortunate and frustrating I get - but to say no excuse, needs knowledge of the fault and the necessary fix.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts wrote:

Fair enough re your street's social media group, but hand-in-hand with that is that each affected user needs to be reporting the loss-of-service. It gives strength to the area fault argument, but also makes sure each user is eligible for LOS payments if the outage goes on that long.

@deans6571 wrote:

That's a tad harsh I think - unless you know the nature of the fault and are hands-on with "boots on the ground", it's always easy to criticise. It's unfortunate and frustrating I get - but to say no excuse, needs knowledge of the fault and the necessary fix.

Fair point. 🙂

Do you know of decent mobile broadband option I could use if my main VM broadband drops (i.e. a hub from EE/THREE/other) ?