Menu
Stuperman
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Usual dropping out issues

- Lost patience now. How do I order a new router before I leave?

Spoiler
I know I'm in contract but I don't think VM are providing a service they can justify.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Usual dropping out issues

What is the problem with yours?

have you done the normal tests. Wired, Power level etc

0 Kudos
Stuperman
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah and then some! Got tired of it now. Been very patient but its got worse over the holidays. Virgin sent an engineer who was nice enough but no help. I think it's just their cheap hardware not really being that reliable. Its the only explanation for the intermittent nature of the faults and the tremendous variability other users have.

One thing the engineer did say was the VM box is right outside our house - literally less than 10ft from the entry point but that surely can't impact the router?

I'm in contract but will probably switch to Sky. VM will try and plead contract but they are not providing the service I'm paying for so they don't have any grounds.

S

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What Hub model do you have?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It depends on if the problem is a wired or wireless one,  and without any diagnostic information it is impossible to say, sorry, saying you have tried everything and then some doesn't carry any weight as we have no idea what you have tried.

Being so close to the street cab may possibly be problematic as the downstream power levels will be quite high so they need to be attenuated to the Hub's operating limits. The Upstream power levels could be low as the CMTS will probably not need the Hub to ramp up it's transmit power, which may possibly make it vulnerable to bursts of intermittent noise. So, the proximity of the street cab can affect your connection, but in normal circumstances it shouldn't.

So the first step would be test with a  device connected directly to the router by ethernet cable. It is always worth checking with another ethernet cable to check the cable. You might have tried that, but without saying on the Forum, we cannot help you.

If the wired connection is dropping out, then posting the Hubs power levels and network logs would aid diagnosis.

0 Kudos
Stuperman
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry forgot that in my rant! 

Wired is fine (occasionally slow) but on the whole is blindingly quick. A properly supported site like bbc.co.uk will load instantly. 

Wifi is the issue. The signal weakens for a very short time and the devices then lose the signal and take time to reacquire. It’s classic “cheap” router behavior. I have the data reviewed previously which led to the engineer coming out. 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the number of simultaneous connections, the Topography of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. This affects all ISPs and I think you will find most ISPs kit is a much of a muchness.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, older cordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

Like most ISPs the Hubs are basic entry kit, a decent third party router will give you a better overall coverage, but whether it will completely solve all your problems will depend on many variables like your wireless environment

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stuperman

I appreciate you getting back in touch with us about this issue.

based on what you have had happen before, I'd like to take a further look into this for you.

If you can pop back to me on the Pm I ave sent that you can find o the top right that would be great.

Kind regards.

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos