Menu
shcv5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using wi fi booster

Hi all I have just received new Virgin wi fi boosters and thought I had set them up fine as followed instructions and just get power light on one I moved upstairs. However when I move away from hub my phone loses wi fi totally now. Any idea why and how I get my phone connecting to wi fi when move away from hub? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using wi fi booster

@shcv5 wrote:

Hi all I have just received new Virgin wi fi boosters ........... Any idea why and how I get my phone connecting to wi fi when move away from hub? 

Sorry but my "clairvoyance module" is still offline so you really need to be  SPECIFIC (viz ELABORATE!)or alternatively await response  from those far more gifted in ESP(and friendlier) than myself?  Smiley Tongue

eg Are these (look at underside/packaging) "New PG9072LG-VM Wifi/9073 Enet" (Comtrend rebadged HomeGrid/G'hn) units or legacy Netgear AV2/x Homeplug legacy powerline infrastructure?

In any event both technologies may (potentially) experience issues/attenuation/dropouts due to "transversing' various single phase consumer distribution board ring main circuits deployed in UK.  Since I'll assume you're unlikely (just like me)  to have necessary Spectrum Analyser readily "to hand" nor aptitude/skill to differentiate between diverse RCD/RCMBO ring main circuits - then you need to consider resort to a more heuristic/empirical approach providing you comply with Safety pre-reqs of swapping various RCD/RCMBO infrastructure! ???

Of course don't forget you may also need to deploy a "WiFi Scanner/Analyser" as well as clarifying the results of "http://virginmedia-vmp" configuration(if you are utilising HomeGrid/G.hn system).

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'll translate that for you.

1. Not enough detailed information.

2. If upstairs/downstairs are on different mains rings, it should work but there is likely to be noise.

3. We need to have WiFi Analyser readings from the adapters to be sure f what is happening

For my part, I would take a belt & braces approach. The first Powerline adapter would be plugged into a wall socket and wired to the Hub. The second Powerline adapter should be plugged in likewise in an adjacent room and WiFi connectivity checked there. Then moving out to other rooms and upstairs.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

shcv5
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I am no techie so a lot of this terminology means nothing to me I am afraid. I will give booster a go in another room to see what happens. Basically when upstairs I have WiFi on phone but when I turn on booster I loose internet connections and cannot connect back onto router.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Give UP VM with the wi fi boosters your better off giving people a good router and have the hub as a modem.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@shcv5 wrote:

Thanks, I am no techie so a lot of this terminology means nothing to me I am afraid. .....

You don't have to be Techie - we can use small incremental steps instead (takes longer but same end result).

However only VM can remotely access your Hub and "Billing" . to ascertain wthat Hub (type) you have . and what VM Booster type/model? .....an . thus what . instructions you . "followed".

You can identify both of these from labelling . on . underside . of each......

We/I suspect Hub3 (VMDG505 on underside label) and HomeGrid Powerline (PG9072/3LG-VM).

Once we have your clarification then we can focus on appropriate SSID naming and Cloning/Sync of each W/LAN band to identify most likely issues that might . affect .WiFi . connectivity. Again "step-by-step".

Good luck.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
shcv5
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony, I have a couple of jobs to do today so when I get a chance I will get this infor to you.

0 Kudos
shcv5
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony, sorry for delay in relpying, looking at the label on the hub it is version3.0 and the letters after that are vmdg505/ Tg2492lg if that means anything? On the booster I received, the code on that is PG-9072lg-vm. Does that help? Thanks

0 Kudos