Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using powerline adapters on external wi-fi router

I've just had VM broadband installed with the Superhub 3. I’ve got some TP-Link powerline adapters arriving today to extend the Wi-Fi coverage around the house.

I have a TP-Link Wi-Fi router (AC750 Archer D2) from my old broadband setup. (I'd like to use this to improve Wi-Fi performance and use the USB port on the back.)

Can I connect my existing TP-Link router to the Superhub 3 (SH3 in modem mode), then connect the new powerline adapters to the TP-Link router?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using powerline adapters on external wi-fi router

I tried posting versions of this query earlier today, but they didn't appear on the board; no idea what the issue was. This one's appeared straight away. I don't want to edit the post in case there's an issue, so I'll add this here...

Background on why I want to do this (without bullets in case that was upsetting the system earlier):

I have a house with stone interior walls and need to get a decent Wi-Fi signal around the house.
I have a Sonos speaker system that stores its music library on a USB stick in the back of my current TP-Link router, but the Superhub 3 doesn’t have a USB port.
In researching solutions to the previous issue, I’ve seen that lots of people have issues with getting Sonos speakers to reliably connect with the Superhub 3 Wi-Fi.
There seems to be a consensus that the Superhub 3’s on-board Wi-Fi router is prone to these sorts of issues and is worth replacing anyway.

I’d welcome any help or advice.

Thanks.

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can do that

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Someone else needs to comment - but I "think" that the Archer D2 is an old ADSL router and not a Cable one (?). So I don't think it will work as a router (just a wifi access point) and would need to be used with the Hub still in router mode.
I think you would be better in a property like yours in investing in some new/modern/better routing and wireless equipment (Mesh?) and putting the Hub3 in modem mode - you should still be able to use the old D2 "I think".

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

John,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the Archer D2 is currently used in my ADSL broadband, but there's also a WAN port on the back so I thought I'd be able to use that to connect it to the Superhub. I've read online that the operation mode of the Archer D2 needs to be changed to "wireless router" mode to do this, but this is all at the edge of my technical comfort zone, and I'm wary of screwing something up.

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You’d do better getting a newer router if that’s the route you wish to take 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos