cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using modem mode

nmearing
Tuning in

I have switched to Modem Mode, as the VM WiFi signal is much weaker than my three separate routers, all or which are connected to the Hub3 via ethernet cables atached to a Netgear router. Theye were all working in Router Mode. After switching to Modem Mode, the ethernet cables are working and providing internet access. The WiFi routers connect to devices, but none of them are providing internet access.

17 REPLIES 17

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@nmearing wrote:

I thought that is what I had done. 

Your understanding is wrong a simple GS208 switch does not do NAT or VLANs and even if it did VLAN and you config it each device has a MAC and with the hub in modem mode you can only use one MAC to get one WAN IP most people get a router that does NAT so many devices with many MAC's go out by one MAC with your WAN IP.

whats your budget for a router?

upper limit 

ZyXEL Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - Large Home Coverage. 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gig...

cheap

TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 MU-MIMO Wireless Gigabit Cable Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 3...

or something in-between 

---------------------------------------------------------------

I think I am beginning to understand a bit better, thanks to your advice. I don't need the WiFi router, as I have 3 of them around the house. If I buy a managed switch to replace the Netgear GS208, would that give me the facilities you describe - something like a Netgear GS308e or TP-Link TL-SG108E?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

In order for it to work you need to config the VLAN switch correctly I know Netgear and Zyxel do this BUT every device connected NEEDS to have the SAME MAC and the routers you have need to be the same or does the same (closely) DHCP discover/request this works but is not what most people setup as its a Advanced way of splitting the WAN IP like NAT does if you don't unstreand setting the MAC this is not for you.

This is the setup VLAN's for two ports but can be extended   

Or you can get a non-wireless router firewall

Zyxel ZyWALL 1.5 Gbps VPN Firewall Device, 2 WAN Router, load balancing, recommended for up to 10 us...

---------------------------------------------------------------

@nmearing wrote:

I think I am beginning to understand a bit better, thanks to your advice. I don't need the WiFi router, as I have 3 of them around the house. If I buy a managed switch to replace the Netgear GS208, would that give me the facilities you describe - something like a Netgear GS308e or TP-Link TL-SG108E?

Sorry but no, in modem mode, you absolutely cannot under any circumstances still use the same setup. It has to be 

VM hub -> Wan connection on a router -> Switch (doesn’t matter if managed or unmanaged) -> other routers acting as wireless access points 

You cannot have a switch of any sort between the hub and the first router - it just won’t work (well at least not reliably).

minispiney
On our wavelength

If you want a small router with a few ports something like a Ubiquiti Edge Router X would be a good choice.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 5 - Modem Mode - Eero mesh
My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia OL15

I did what was originally suggested. Took an existing Wi-Fi router - D-Link DIR-X1560 - put it between the hub and the switch and it works fine. When I close the cupboard door, it is a poor Wi-Fi signal, so I want to turn the Wi-Fi signal off. I cannot get into the D-Link management system. I entered the link - 192.168.0.1. Instead of getting the username prompt (which is supposed to be admin), it went straight to admin password. I entered nothing, as per instructions and it said invalid password. The instructions then said to reset the router, which I did, but all I got was the same routine. I tried turning the router off and rebooting it, but the same thing happened. I am now at a loss as to how to get into the router to change the settings.

I am glad to say that I solved the problem. The correct Device Admin Password was on the underside of the router. I have now disabled the Wi-Fi signal on that router. Thanks everyone for your useful advice.

Glad to hear that you have been able to get your issues resolved with the advice from the community @nmearing.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L