cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using modem mode

nmearing
Tuning in

I have switched to Modem Mode, as the VM WiFi signal is much weaker than my three separate routers, all or which are connected to the Hub3 via ethernet cables atached to a Netgear router. Theye were all working in Router Mode. After switching to Modem Mode, the ethernet cables are working and providing internet access. The WiFi routers connect to devices, but none of them are providing internet access.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nmearing wrote:

I have switched to Modem Mode, as the VM WiFi signal is much weaker than my three separate routers, all or which are connected to the Hub3 via ethernet cables atached to a Netgear router. Theye were all working in Router Mode. After switching to Modem Mode, the ethernet cables are working and providing internet access. The WiFi routers connect to devices, but none of them are providing internet access.

Firstly if you have 3 routers only one of them should be setup as a router, others should be in bridge mode when in hub is in modem mode. If running the hub in router mode all you own routers should be in bridge mode.

How to put a VM hub into modem mode, not published by VM probably because they don’t want you to use it and use their pods.

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nmearing wrote:

Firstly if you have 3 routers only one of them should be setup as a router, others should be in bridge mode when in hub is in modem mode. If running the hub in router mode all you own routers should be in bridge mode.

How to put a VM hub into modem mode, not published by VM probably because they don’t want you to use it and use their pods.

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks. Very helpful. In case it makes a difference, I have 6 ethernet cables that terminate by the hub. They are connected to the hub via a Netgear GS208 8 port router. We have 3 Dlink WiFi routers, each connected to an ethernet cable, 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs. Until I switched to Modem Mode on the hub they were providing excellent WiFi service, usually around 200 Mb/s. Now none of them give internet access, even though they connect to laptops and phones. The ethernet sockets still provide internet access, but only to one device at a time - initially to a laptop and then the smart TV .

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Only one port will work on the hub by one source MAC for one WAN IP that you have a setup to NAT off like a home router you can't use a simple switch to the hub in modem mode because many source MAC's will be in play.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying that it is impossible to use the hub 3 in Modem Mode and have three WiFi routers connected to it via Ethernet cables? 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Correct. A modem can’t act as a router. You will need to get one of your routers, the one connected to the Modem Mode Hub, to act as the routing device and connect the other two to its Ethernet ports  .

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@nmearing wrote:

Are you saying that it is impossible to use the hub 3 in Modem Mode and have three WiFi routers connected to it via Ethernet cables? 

Three routers doing NAT each with a different MAC to the hub in modem mode can't work their can be a way with a VLAN switch and if the routers do the same DHCP discover/request out the same MAC to work this isolates the network but most people have one router to the hub and you connect other stuff to that router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that is what I had done. There's only one Ethernet cable connected to the hub which goes to a Netgear GS208 router. The 6 ethernet cables for the house network are connected to the Netgear router. Each of the 3 WiFi routers is connected via a socket at the other end of the cable. I am still puzzled as to why this network arrangement worked when the hub was in Router Mode, but doesn't in Modem Mode.

The Netgear GS208 is not a router, it’s a dumb (unmanaged) switch. In router mode, your arrangement works because the VM hub is doing the routing and NAT functions. In modem mode you need to arrange it differently.

Remove the GS208, take one of your real routers and connect it’s WAN port to the VM hub. Connect the switch to one of the LAN ports on the router and everything else to unused ports on this switch. It would be best (although not essential) to have the other two router turned into access point mode (or whatever that model calls it) otherwise you can get unwanted IP address clashes and weird routing issues between devices.

Would it make sense to replace the Netgear switch with an 6/8 port switch **bleep** router? WiFi routers are much bigger, I think, and there is limited space near the hub and ethernet cable terminations. If so, can you recommend a switch **bleep** router?