Menu
CJ_C
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Using Google app & devices on virgin

Hi, I’ve purchased a Lenovo Smart Clock with Google assistant which I wanted to connect to my virgin wifi so that I could control the clock from my Google assistant. I’ve spent the whole morning trying to connect the Google home app & the smart clock to my wifi but although it will find all my neighbours wifi networks nothing I do will make it find/recognise my wifi network. I get to the point where it asks me to choose my network & it lists all my neighbours networks but just can’t seem to find mine. There’s no other problem with my wifi - my iPhone, Surface Go, etc can all connect to it as normal, it’s just the Google home app & smart clock that won’t. Any advice very gratefully received. Thanks.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using Google app & devices on virgin

Have you split out your networks into 2.4 and 5G? - Give them separate names

Might be a good way to see if the device and see yours!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
CJ_C
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have 2 separate wifi networks - 1 is 2g & the other is 5G - with different names, the Google assistant can’t find either.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did have this issue with a chromecast once..

Solved it by setting it up next to the router! (apologies for this possibly ridiculous reply - But this did work)

0 Kudos
CJ_C
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did you have to leave it near the router after you had set it up or could you them move it to a different location? Thanks

0 Kudos
CJ_C
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just spoken to virgin & they’ve said they can set up my clock online for a one off payment of £60 & a monthly subscription for gadget help. I asked them what website it needs to be set up on so I could do it myself & they refused to tell me. Does anyone have any ideas where online I have to set it up in order to get it to recognise my wifi network? Thanks.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@CJ_C wrote:

Did you have to leave it near the router after you had set it up or could you them move it to a different location? Thanks

No - Moved it straight away to where I wanted it!

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@CJ_C wrote:

I’ve just spoken to virgin & they’ve said they can set up my clock online for a one off payment of £60 & a monthly subscription for gadget help. I asked them what website it needs to be set up on so I could do it myself & they refused to tell me. Does anyone have any ideas where online I have to set it up in order to get it to recognise my wifi network? Thanks.

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFBSRkh8oVk

0 Kudos
CJ_C
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I can only get part way through the set up on the you tube link as the clock stubbornly refuses to find let alone connect to my home wifi network. It will find networks belonging to my neighbours but not the one that it is sat right next to! The only clue I have is this online registration that Virgin want to charge me £60 + a monthly subscription fee for their gadget help service to set up. They won’t tell what website it needs to be registered on so that I could do it myself without having to sign up to an overpriced service I’m never going to use again. I was hoping someone would know what I need to register & where in order to get this clock to recognise my wifi router & network. Thanks.

0 Kudos