cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Asus Zenwifi XT8 with hub 4

Neil2021
On our wavelength

Hi

So I've had gig1 for a few months and was getting around 940mbps with a wired connection but wanted better coverage with wifi as I'm in a 3 storey house so decided to purchase the asus zenwifi XT8 and when I set it up I just went for the easy option with one SSID and let it use smart connect (even though I knew spending more time to configure it would of been better)

Anyway it's not working too well now even on wired connection I'm only getting around 300mbps at different times of the day (it's had a few firmware updates since, so could be why) so i'm gonna factory reset it and start again but I'll put the virgin router back into router mode and check the speeds then to see if the problem is at virgins end or my connection

Anyway just wondering if anyone using this wouldn't mind sharing their settings or advising of the best way to set this up, as I say i'm in a 3 storey new build house so I did try at first with the main unit next to the router and the second node on the 3rd floor at the other end of the house which seemed to work fine at first but then the light was yellow every now and then so thought it's obviously got a weak signal so i've put the node back on the ground floor on the other side of the house which isn't too far from the main node and connection between the nodes seems stable now (i'm not in a position to use ethernet between nodes neither but obviously the main node is connected to the hub

So whatever peoples settings are or advice would be great thanks, I was expecting better speeds on my wifi 6 devices too but again only got around 500mbps (even close to the router), what I've read so far, I should set up 3 separate SSID's and turn off smart connect and use the 3rd band for wifi 6 devices but I thought the 3rd band was used for the 2 units to communicate between each other so I'm a bit unsure now

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

lotharmat
Community elder
Is there any QoS on the ASUS?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Yeah, it was automatically disabled so I left it at that 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Did you put the hub into modem mode as well?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Yeah first thing I did and connected it to the node and plugged all the ethernet cables into the node 

could be a QOS setting enabled somewhere then 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

I'll check the settings again, gonna factory reset it anyway, just wondering anyone that's got it, what settings they use

@Neil2021 wrote:

I'll check the settings again, gonna factory reset it anyway, just wondering anyone that's got it, what settings they use

I have an ASUS router and there’s lots of default settings that needed amending on it to get it to a decent usable state. The out-of-the-box settings aren’t for everyone and most of the “features” that are enabled by default needed disabling.

Have a look at the SNBForums site for some ideas on what settings to make/change. 

Yeah think the default settings aren't gonna give you the best results, think relying on the smart connect feature isn't the way forward from what I've read, I'll check that forum you've mentioned, thabks