cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Virgin Media Wifi Hotspot On Mac?

H4MZ4
On our wavelength
Currently away from home and I notice a VM hotspot near me, so it's quite useful to think I could grab a temp connection. Only problem is, my phone (with the app) doesn't see the wifi hotspot since its probably a little too far, however my Mac sees it perfectly.

Is it possible to connect to then VM wifi hotspots on non phones? Seems like it asks for a user and password when I try to connect.
52 REPLIES 52

Could please post how you managed to connect Virgin Media wifi hotspot on MacBook ?
Thanks

drguiom
On our wavelength

use the following login details:

Login: vmedwifi/<your Virgin Media account login email address>

Password: <your Virgin Media account password>

@drguiom wrote:

use the following login details:

Login: vmedwifi/<your Virgin Media account login email address>

Password: <your Virgin Media account password>

This method signs me in to the network, but my MacBook states “WiFi has the self assigned IP of ____ and will not be able to connect to the internet”. What does this mean? Any way to get around this?

i appreciate this thread is rather dormant now, but any solutions would be appreciated!

Hi I literally just asked a question which was related - I was seeing this SSID called Virgin Media and had no idea it was this Public Hotspot. 

I've just managed to connect just now using the credentials and it appears to be working fine. 

I've not had any messages like that - have you tried re-boot of the Mac and see if that works again? Might clear any network settings you have which could be preventing you from accessing it. 

@VM-Jon was super helpful in this.  

Can anyone tell me how often the captive portal where you input your username and password details needs to be re-authenticated?   Or once it’s logged in does the device stay connected? 

thanks kindly. 

Until you login on another device I believe

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

hi there, I tried this but it doesn't seem to login. The password you are suggesting is the one you use to login to the virgin media website right? If yes its not working for me, any other ideas please? thanks finn

Mary92
Joining in

Can anyone please confirm if this still works?

My sister moved in and ordered Virgin Internet only to find it is going to take some time to get working.

The app works on phone but not very good on laptop (windows).

To connect computers to the Virgin Media WiFi network, the same security certificates would also need to be installed, but that requires more detailed technical knowledge to complete than on mobile devices using the app, and isn't always possible for corporate computers etc.

So Virgin Media have focused the service on those devices that are most likely to be moved around and used on the go i.e. Android and iOS mobile devices, and also where those devices have a simple and easy setup.

This would be fine if Virgin published instructions on how to use that security certificate on a router or PC, it is technical but if you did it people could copy it.

The basic process is to extract the Enterprise key, Virgin could easily create a VPN config as an export from the App to work on different platforms, so that that a config file could be exported and for say Windows click on a .reg link to add the config to the device. 

Even if VM did not do that they could give some parts of tech solution.

Alternatively do as BT do and provide a captive portal for an unsecured network used at customers risk.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Maybe the phone is working on the cell

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)