cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Virgin Media Wifi Hotspot On Mac?

H4MZ4
On our wavelength
Currently away from home and I notice a VM hotspot near me, so it's quite useful to think I could grab a temp connection. Only problem is, my phone (with the app) doesn't see the wifi hotspot since its probably a little too far, however my Mac sees it perfectly.

Is it possible to connect to then VM wifi hotspots on non phones? Seems like it asks for a user and password when I try to connect.
52 REPLIES 52

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DrewAB wrote:

I don't understand the lunacy in restricting this to the customer as Virgins largest competitor BSkyB offer free Cloud Hotspots to all customers to connect to regardless whether it be Phone, Tablet or Laptop. Surely they must be loosing customers hand-over-fist for something so easily resolved?

Where is the customer loyalty and satisfaction these days? It just seems a redundant practice to create silly restrictions which are not in place with the competition

The reason Sky can do that is normally 'The Cloud' is an open wireless network i.e. there is no direct wireless security. So to connect, you just connect to the hotspot, and the login using your browser. This means that any wireless device can use it, but the downside is that your connection between the device and the hotspot network isn't encrypted, and can also be open to spoofing of the wireless name.

Virgin Media WiFi uses Enterprise WPA security to connect, meaning that a device can connect once an appropriate security certificate is installed. On mobile devices, this is done by the app during setup. This means that when you do connect, not only is your wireless connection secured, but you'll only connecting to authorised Virgin Media WiFi hotspots and not any that spoof the wireless network name.

Sky do have a secure version of 'The Cloud' network which Virgin Media use as part of their Virgin Media WiFi service, but I can't see this available as part of the general 'The Cloud' connection options, so I'm not sure if or how their customers connect to that.

To connect computers to the Virgin Media WiFi network, the same security certificates would also need to be installed, but that requires more detailed technical knowledge to complete than on mobile devices using the app, and isn't always possible for corporate computers etc.

So Virgin Media have focused the service on those devices that are most likely to be moved around and used on the go i.e. Android and iOS mobile devices, and also where those devices have a simple and easy setup.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

NuclearDevice
Joining in

Any Ideas on connecting and old iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1 as the VirginMedia Connect app doesn't support this older version of operating system.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NuclearDevice wrote:

Any Ideas on connecting and old iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1 as the VirginMedia Connect app doesn't support this older version of operating system.

Sorry, there is no supported way to do that.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I know it’s not a helpful response, but I’d be surprised if there were many apps that still supported ios7! 

Hi,

Can anyone still get this to work? I’ve tried on my MacBook and Ubuntu laptop. I can get both to connect but they never receive and IP. I even installed the certificate just in case to no avail.

VM have told me my install is weeks away and I need internet on my laptop! 😞

I can’t even get it to work on my IPhone anymore, just tells me the password is incorrect. MacBook did work once when I managed to install a certificate by copying the web address my phone was using to install it. Only worked once tho, gave up trying. Got a good deal on data from Vodafone so use my phone as a hotspot instead. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi H4MZ4, thanks for your post.

As things stand the WiFi hot-spots are only for mobile devices (Apple & Android) to connect to via the Connect app.

If anything changes with regards to this we'll be sure to let you know.

Tom_F 

H4MZ4
On our wavelength

@Tom_F wrote:

As things stand the WiFi hot-spots are only for mobile devices (Apple & Android) to connect to via the Connect app.

This post is 3 years old now 😬

Worth mentioning this still works, and should also work for the following networks:

• Virgin Media
  • _The Cloud X
  • Horizon Wi-Free
  • Ziggo
  • TelnetWiFree
  • UPC Wi-Free
  • Unitymedia WifiSpot
  • XFINITY

drguiom
On our wavelength

I have this working in the sense that my MacBook authenticates fine but no IP address is allocated via DHCP?

Anyone know why?

drguiom
On our wavelength

ignore this. It just worked.