cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use VM Router as Modem Mode and Connect EE Smart Hub

Auri
Joining in

Hi, I need a bit of a hand.

Im trying to connect my VM router 3 as a modem mode, and then connect my EE smart hub as the primary source for the routing, to access wirelessly/ethernet to the internet.

I have changed the VM router to Modem Mode, and then connected my EE smart hub (latest white Router), from LAN port 1 on the VM router, to the WAN (Red) port on the EE smart Hub. (the VM Router is on Magenta colour for the Modem Mode)
However the light stays on yellow the whole time, and cant access the internet.

i have looked online, and some people say I need to change WAN settings on the EE smart hub. However on the EE smart hub admin settings, there is nothing to change WAN Settings. So Im stuck, and no idea what to do.
Is it to change the DHCP ip range, is it to setup a DNS or?

If you reply, please help with step by step, as Im not very tech savvy when it comes to networks.

Cheers

12 REPLIES 12

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Auri wrote:

and i guess theres no way to turn the EE PPPoE protocol into one that will work with VM?

No.

The BT and EE Smart Hubs like that come in two types - the FTTP type has one of the Ethernet sockets set as a WAN port, and marked in red at the factory.  The VDSL (copper line) type has all of the Eth. sockets set for LAN use.  In some, later. firmwares I recall it's possible to change that port usage.  However, the WAN is only PPPoE - and it's domain locked so it will only work with a provider that uses PPPoE, and with a BT/EE/Plusnet etc. domain in the username.

This is what I meant in that it is not a true Ethernet WAN port - that would require it to be set for different authentication/connection types including DHCP on the WAN.

Third party routers like the D Link I have here allow for different connection/authentication on their WAN side - including PPPoE and DHCP.

Virgin's DOCSIS authenticates differently, with the Hub cable modem being provisioned to the line - but presenting a DHCP connection when in modem mode.

The only way to use that EE hub on a VM line is to use it as an additional access point with switch (which I do with a BT one).  I have it in a different part of the house connected via Ethernet cable.

The main config to do that is;

• disable/turn off DHCP
  • turn off the firewall (you will use main router firewall)
  • set Hub IP address as, say, 192.168.0.2 (according to the IP address range used by your router or the VM hub)
  • Connect the Ethernet from your main router/VM hub in router mode to one of the yellow (LAN) sockets 
  • Set the wifi ssid and channel on the EE hub as required - leave as default/smart or whatever

In advance setting it will look like this;

g0akc_0-1648930072401.png

Yours has the EE skin whereas mine is the BT skin in the settings.

You can then use the WiFi off the EE Hub and connect wired devices to the spare LAN ports.  Set the WiFi channel away from your other router or whatever according to circumstances/environment.  I use 2.4GHz ch 1 on BT hub and 11 on my other router - my neighbour is on 6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thank you, good to know at least i can use it as an access point.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Auri wrote:

Thank you, good to know at least i can use it as an access point.

Yep, and you could turn off the Virgin WiFi using the EE for wireless instead (but you have two boxes, on using more energy) or have them in different parts of house to give better coverage. This with the Virgin hub as router.

Various third party routers will work on a VM line with hub in modem mode otherwise 

I use a D Link 882 - cost me 40 quid nearly new off eBay….

or Asus, Netgear, whatever 

or Mesh system like Deco

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!