cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Hub 4 to enable ipv6

Stuart4bs
Joining in

Is it possible to get an upgrade from Hub 3 to Hub 4, as it has been reported in the media recently that the Hub 4 doesn't experience the same issues as the Hub 3 when using ipV6.

I am working from home as many are, and my company expects me to connect over VPN (Microsoft Direct Access) which of course uses ipv6.

3 REPLIES 3

spgray
Problem sorter
virgin doesn't use IPv6 at all, so changing hub won't make any difference.
you also can't swap hubs anwyay, unless your hub is faulty, and if it was you'd get a replacement hub3.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Currently in the UK VM do not offer IPv6 you would have to setup your own 6 to 4 tunnel using a 3rd party router, if you want to be able to use IPv6.

Currently the Hub 4 is only available to customer who are on the 1Gbps service and in limited areas.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The issue reported in the press is that Virgin seem to be slowing down IP protocol 41 - 6in4 tunnels - that are used for Tunnelbroker and others to provide IPv6 for those of us that want/need IPv6 but are on Virgin. Note protocol here, not port.

Virgin have accepted there is an issue and are looking into it, annecdotal reports are that it only affect SH3 users - like me.

Virgin Media UK Move to Fix 20Mbps Speed Cap on IPv6 Tunnels  - ISP Review

So the question stands, in order to get away from the issue with protocol 41 slow down, can we have a SH4 ?

Of course if Virgin just caught up with the majority of the UK industry and just rolled out proper dual stack IPv6 then this problem would also go away, however at this point I think the heat death of the universe may occur sooner.

Edit: Stuart4bs, you would need your own router and operate in modem mode to take advantage of a tunnel anyway, this won't work with either superhub out the box.