Menu
freddyokel
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to Hub 3.0

Ok... so I've got a Hub 2 and recently my broadband has been bad. Only 45 meg and constant dropouts. This may not be the fault of the hub.

However, as I have a mixed 2.4/5 wifi environment and 2.4 is pretty congested around here I'd like to be able to operate both, which the Hub 3.0 will do.
So, I go the the Virgin shop in Bristol this morning (to sort my phone out) and have a chat with the guy there who says 'Really? You've still got a 2.0? I thought they were doing a rolling free upgrade. Give the support guys a call and they should sort you out for free'.
I get home, call the call centre who tell me no, I can't have one for free. It'll be £40.

This is stupid I tell the operator, you'd give a new customer a 3.0 for nothing!

Anyone on the Forum Team fancy having a PM chat with me before I cancel?

0 Kudos
Darkman
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to Hub 3.0

Super Hub 2 will do both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz at the same time, indeed the Hub 3.0 wi-fi performance is no better than a 2 and slightly worse than a 2ac in my experience.

However it sounds like you've got bigger problems on the network side. I'd report those to Tech Support and get a tech visit booked. Chances are that the tech will swap out your SH2 for a Hub 3.0 anyway during the visit, just to rule that out as being the issue.

SH 2ac, 200Mb BB; V6 TiVo, Full House TV; M Phone just to call VM
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What is the connection like on a device connected directly into the Hub by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable - with the Hub in mode it should be giving maximum speeds.
I have the SH2 and its a perfectly good modem. You could do as I (and thousands others) do and put it in modem mode and get your own router and wireless kit - you wont regret it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
freddyokel
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So how exactly do you make a 2.0 do both?

In my wifi settings I have either 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz and a message above the setting that says:
'Selecting 5GHz may improve the performance of any wireless devices or adapters that support 5GHz mode. However, in this mode, devices that only support 2.4GHz mode won't be able to connect to your wireless network.'

It's in 2.4GHz mode at the moment and offering no 5.0GHz wifi, if I turn it to 5.0GHz, the 2.4GHz goes. It's one or the other.

0 Kudos
freddyokel
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Direct cable connection is the first thing I tried when the bad service started happening. It's just the same.
I don't think the hub is at fault for that.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure its a SH2 and not the original SH1 ? The SH2 broadcasts both bands simultaneously whilst the SH1 doesnt - you have to select the one you want to use. What model of Hub is printed on its base sticker ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
freddyokel
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Actually I think you may be on to something!

It's a VMDG480. I'd assumed it was a 2.0 'cause it says 'Hardware Version 2.00' in the 'Super Hub Settings'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
morganbustin20
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah you got the SuperHub 1

MBustin
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Its an

@freddyokel wrote:

Actually I think you may be on to something!

It's a VMDG480. I'd assumed it was a 2.0 'cause it says 'Hardware Version 2.00' in the 'Super Hub Settings'.

SH1. There is a free upgrade programme that you may be eligible for - try this....

There is a "free" Hub3 replacement - see the link below. If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,5 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - no-one seems to have informed the "offshore" lot about it yet ! It may be that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
0 Kudos