cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update from a SuperHub 2 or not?

jeallen01
On our wavelength

Evening All !

I'm currently on an original CableCorp/Telewest coax cable connection to the nearest cabinet (as installed in the 1990's!), running a SuperHub 2 (dating from around 2014 IIRC!) in modem mode to an ASUS RT-AC66U B1 router and then to a mixture of a Cat 5E wired Lan and an 802n wireless network, and using the M125 service. I have very few problems as it seems to deliver good download/upload numbers, streams Amazon, I-player etc., via a ROKU 2 box pretty well to the TV etc (don't play online games, etc or use social media via that route, etc), except that the wireless connection in some parts of the (1930's) moderately-sized house are rather poor, and my wife complains!😩

Therefore, I'm in the process of (or trying to find time to!) updating the router to an ASUS RT-AX86U, and again using the Super Hub 2 in modem mode as currently - but I might well create a mesh wireless system using the RT-AC66U B1 together with the AX86U as I understand that that should be possible

However I'm also wondering if I should also press Virginmedia to update the existing Super Hub 2 to "something newer" and if so:
- Which model of Super Hub?
- What would I "gain" in doing that?
- What might I "lose" in doing that?
- What problems might I encounter in the process of doing that?
- What would it cost me to do that?

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions or comments! :😁

-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You gain more downstream/upstream Docsis channels but really should not have much impact you much by not having them so I would wait till your hub hit the can then ask for a new hub 5 

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You gain more downstream/upstream Docsis channels but really should not have much impact you much by not having them so I would wait till your hub hit the can then ask for a new hub 5 

---------------------------------------------------------------

jeallen01
On our wavelength

@legacy1

Thx for the quick reply and you seem to have rather confirmed my own existing views on whether an upgrade would make any improvements - i.e. it is probably unlikely to be worth the time & effort!! 🙄

Hi @jeallen01,thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums! 👋🏼

I can see you have quite an outdated hub which is miles behind the technology we use now.
If you would like to upgrade your Virgin Media hub, let us know and we'll get this arranged.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs