cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted device reconnecting To Hub3

FluffyLoris
Joining in

I keep 'pausing' a device (iPhone connected to Hub 3), to prevent user from accessing WiFi but it keeps reconnecting. 

How can I stop device reconnecting, please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you are suffering from poor wifi (ie ethernet is perfectly fine) then yes - a better router will certainly improve this!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

lotharmat
Community elder
Change WiFi passwords!

Thank you. I thought the idea behind the 'pause' a device option was to avoid having to do this, though? I want it to be connected still (therefore have the password) but to STAY paused until I want to unpause it...?!

OK - so it is a genuine known device.

The Hub's are pretty rubbish routers! - If you want proper security - you'll need to purchase your own router on which blocking works properly!

Thanks - any suggestions for good ones? 

I have been very happy with my Archer c7 - Blocking and unblocking devices works well!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'd agree that you're looking at spending £40-100 on a new wifi router or mesh system to have properly functioning controls, but give it some thought before assuming that technology is the answer.  Usually these requests to temporarily block a device involve a child/young adult......If this is "overnight" use, and you don't need access to broadband then, a six quid timer plug on the hub will prevent any internet access via that route outside your chosen hours.

If you want to selectively block their internet access, and to be effective, there's more than just pausing the device on your own broadband - you need to make sure that they also can't access any guest wifi network (potentially including signals from neighbours).  If they've got access to the phone, but no broadband, they can possibly still use mobile data.  Block or stop that through mobile account controls, and the more enterprising will buy a compatible SIM, or even a cheap second phone which can be had for pocket money cash.  Sometimes there's also a content or website aspect (eg adult content, gambling, compulsive gaming), it is worth being aware that getting round most ISP and mobile "web protection" filters is trivially easy for anybody so inclined.

So pausing the wifi access works if you can be sure all those bases are covered.  In these cases it is often better to agree a "contract" with the person concerned, about when and what they can do on their phone, along with the consequences of non-compliance, and trying to do this through negotiation and trust.  If it is a PAYG phone in your name, then you've got some leverage in the shape of refusing to top-up the phone if the rules are broken, but that's a sanction under the agreement, and shouldn't be put as bluntly as a threat.   Perhaps "phone to be on charge in the kitchen/living room from 8pm to 8am" type of agreement?  Often by the time people ask this question there's already strained relations over device usage.  If that applies, you need to raise the concerns with the individual, explain why you want the new rules, why that's to the benefit of them, and what the sanctions will be, and how long they will last.  You need to keep calm, don't get into a shouting match - with your own children it is difficult to avoid this, you need to approach it as a logical behaviour management problem.  When they start getting heated (if it is a teenager this is almost inevitable), you leave it, and walk away, and return to the topic another time.  If you raise your voice, or utter the words "because I say so" then you've already lost the argument.  You might need to change the hub and wifi passwords and block them for 24 hours to "force them to the table", but don't do that before trying to engage, and above all do not getting into an emotion-driven argument.  A moody teenager will often throw everything back at you that they can (all the usual stuff about you don't understand me, this is what everybody does these days, all my friends have unlimited internet access, you don't love me etc etc), and in that case it is very difficult not to be drawn in to an argument, but you must not do that, you must avoid laughing at any tantrum.

Wow! Andrew, thank you so much for such a wise, detailed and measured response to such a tricky issue! Nailed it. Really appreciate your time and compassion - didn't expect that!

I'm going to focus my efforts on more constructive pursuits, rather than a power game to try to get revenge on a teen! I'm better than that 😚 Thank you very much. Take care 😘 

Hi - does buying a new router make a significant difference to the WiFi speed/effectiveness?

Thanks 

also worth noting that by default, the iPhone randomises MAC address of the wifi interface when connecting to wireless networks - which is probably the reason it's reconnecting so easily...