cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable wifi in the evenings

Madelvic
Tuning in

VM customer for 20+ years

In recent weeks wifi performance tails way off in the evenings.  So bad we can no longer stream tv on a modern Samsung TV and web pages can take 10 to 20s to load.

If I use my Virgin SIM in my phone I get 100x speed on 5G

Engineer out.  Replaced Hub 3.0, tweaked signal into the house.  No improvement

We are in 100MB/s service.  Main computer via Cat5 into the Hub.  Consistently reporting circa 100MBs using Ookla SpeedTest on the wired connection (so it's not a Broadband issue)

We've tried turning off as many wifi devices as possible.  No change

We have old Apple Airport Express using mains extenders.  On or off makes no difference

On my laptop 10m or less from Hub Speedtest reports between <1 and 5MBs in the evenings.  No sold barriers between Hub and laptop.  Tried stopping either 2.4GHz or 5GHz on the Hub - no difference I can see

This I don't understand.  If I stand by the Hub I'll see 60+MB/s. If I then move to the living room where performance is pants, it is okay for a short while, then tails way off.

Would Hub 4 or 5 help?  Or Virgin's wifi extenders?  Don't want to pay more to fix a service that used to work.  Any ideas?  Help much appreciated

21 REPLIES 21

Hi @Madelvic

Thanks for coming back to us. 
I'll PM you now to discuss the complaint

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi Madelvic,

Thanks for joining me on PM and allowing me to sort this for you.

If you do need anything further, please pop back and we can assist 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill