cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable wired internet

duncan1335
Joining in

I've had issues with unstable internet for years when I stream, its not the speeds that are the issue, I nearly always get the speeds I'm paying for but the stability is laughable, my bitrate jumps anywhere from 0-10,000 every second, literally completely unusable but despite the multiple calls a month I'm getting no where (apart from them doing something on their end, which they then turn off again after a couple weeks and I have to go through the whole process of having no usable internet for ages while they fix it again.)

I've changed every single cable on my end, bought new routers, changed PCs, had multiple engineers out which all say the problems not on my end it's something on theirs, so they relay that information and it gets fixed, for about 2 weeks, then i'm back to square one again then its the same thing all over.

I don't understand why they keep making me call them up every day for a week just to fix the same problem over and over it doesn't make any sense. Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you fix it? as I've lost literally thousands of pounds due to not being able to stream because of this over the years and its incredibly frustrating.

3 REPLIES 3

duncan1335
Joining in

some screenshots of my internet for reference unknown (1).pngunknown.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Those pics are not really useful to most of us 🙂 ... we prefer to start with ethe Hub data and a BQM - can you do this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle or top/right of the Login page and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @duncan1335

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How is your service today? Have you seen any improvements?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs