cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable connection

GaryW123
Tuning in

I am having very high latency spikes quite often day to day which has led to me receiving a warning in the main game I play that if it continues I could be prevented from playing with others. Obviously I do not want this to happen so any help/suggestions as to what could be causing it is appreciated.

The first 3 images are how it has been for about 3 weeks or so at this point, the bottom picture is how it used to look (end of August).

20/09/2120/09/2119/09/2119/09/2118/09/2118/09/2129-08-2021.png

29 REPLIES 29

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Well I dont think that BQM is that bad al all. But someone with a better technical grasp of latency might be able to add something.

Out of interest what game is it you are playing?

I have just asked my lad if he has experienced latency problems and been reported - but he has never seen it whilst on "League of Legends" or "Valorant" - both of which he plays a lot over our connection.

He reckons it is problem on your "device connectivity" and says he would bet money (!) that you are using wifi - which he says is "the work of Satan". Or possibly... the only time he has ever had (temporary) latency like problems was either over wifi tethered to his phone - or - when his ethernet cable connection had an issue, which turned out to be a loose/broken wire in the connector.

He now always uses a pair of good quality powerline adapters and Cat6a cables to connect the PC and consoles.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The game is Destiny 2 and my connection is over ethernet. If by device connectivity you mean my PC then the BQM would not show the massive latency spikes as that is based on the router connection is it not?

@jbrennand Post a link to the "share live graph" (see arrow) for the BQM so we can take a look. The ones you posted earlier didnt look that bad to me - quite similar to my own and my semi-pro gaming son has had no complaints and I have noticed no issues myself.  Though others may think mine is bad to

I certainly do think it is bad overall.  For late night gaming it doesn't look so bad at all, but it is persistently poor from 9am onwards, which to me implies the over-utilisation is an upstream issue and extending my hypothesis further, likely heavily driven by WFH business use.  So it may not be affecting your son, but it still means that either VM have sold too many contracts, or failed to invest (yet) for the continuous growth in network traffic, or possibly this is still the world and his wife who have yet to return to office normality.

VM Networks should know all the answers, but you'll get more information out of a statue than them.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi GaryW123, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community and thank you to our members for your assistance 🙂

I am very sorry to hear what has been happening and what might happen if you continue to experience this issue. 

I have taken a look at the account and service from our side and everything is currently running within spec. 

From your last message, I see your device is connected via Ethernet, is this to an adapter or directly to the Hub itself?

Also which Ethernet cable are you using? Have you tried another cable to test? 

Let us know:) 

Nat

Hi Natalie_L,

My PC is connected to my Asus RT-AC86U which is connected directly to the Superhub 3 in modem mode. The ethernet cable I'm using is a Primewire Cat7 (25M) from Amazon.

I haven't tried another cable as it's a 25M cable and that would be a nightmare to do. I don't believe it will be related to the cable as the issues present in the BQM graphs vary. I'll go for multiple days/weeks in a row with awful ping spikes and then I might have a few days with stable ping, if the ethernet was damaged or the cause it would likely be a consistent issue.

As the live graph shows for today, I'm currently having a good day in terms of my connection quality however I shouldn't have to constantly keep an eye on this to find out when are the days that are best for me to play online games.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply and for confirming. 

I have taken a look at your live graph and as you say, it does seem stable at the moment. 

Do you find this issue occurs more over peak times or over the weekend at all? 

Thanks 

Nat

If you know your idle at the time of a spike then its likely a upstream burst by many people in your area at once.

If you don't have QoS enabled any download or upload can spike your connection a good QoS can stop this if bandwidth available on upstream.

VM have known about the upstream problem for years and so do the ones made docsis I'm not 100% sure how the hub forwards packets to send with 4 channels I hope the way would be to ask all channels I need to send some packets then it sends then out on the channels best effort but when all channels are maxed out you are queued in the upstream scheduler meaning your packets in the modem are stuck waiting.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a look through the BQM graphs for the last month or so and can see that typically I have spikes around 8AM with calm until 12PM and then pretty consistent spikes from then until midnight. Strangely weekends don't seem to change much, if anything they might be slightly calmer.

I have CakeQoS setup on my router with all the buffer bloat tests showing A+ results.

Hello GaryW123

Sorry to hear about the latency and spikes
I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L