cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Wi-Fi

KitCatC
Tuning in

Hi there,

I'm having a few issues with my Wi-Fi that's been going on for about 3 weeks now.

It keeps dropping connection, very laggy, cutting in and out. You get the picture.

I've moved the router away from the TV, as I've found this can supposedly interrupt the Wi-Fi connection, this hasn't worked.

I've restarted the router multiple times and this hasn't helped the issue. 

On a speed test, rather than getting 120 mbps (like I've had before), I now get 60 mbps, or it will start dropping to 0 mbps and then pick itself back up to 60 mbps again. 

I have a PC that is on a wired connection and that gets a consistent 100 mbps, but with the other two PC's, they will constantly drop off of the Wi-Fi or still be connected, but lose Internet connection. 

Any advice is appreciated!

14 REPLIES 14

@Slaphead63 wrote:

I have had the same issue with my wi-fi  dropping around the same time every night which is very annoying

I have set the following after doing a quick scan, We live in a flat and out of 6 5 have VM as its the only decent service as BT do not have fibre here yet.

Anyway I have changed the settings to  Wireless Mode 802.11g/n mixed  channel  6 and turned off channel optomisation

Also on the 5GHz  ( enabled) the settings are 802.11a/n/ac  Channel 40

Can someone confirm if that is ok?

Only you can confirm that if you’ve scanned the channels and chosen the least congested ones 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Your answer is very condescending. In your previous answers also. With more jargon that would confuse a nuclear scientist. I am having unstable issues and at no point in your answers did I find it useful.  I have used the wifi scanner and I can't even understand what it says. 

Hi jasineil2010,

Thank you for your post. Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your WiFi.

I've had a look at the data for your service from this end and can't see anything which could be causing an intermittent connection. Can you please let us know if you have any devices wired into the hub, that are also losing the connection?

Also, can you please try performing a factory reset on your hub to see if this fixes the connection? To do this, you need to stick a pin into the pinhole at the back of the hub for at least 30 seconds.

Let us know how you get on.

Beth

sophia_dan
Settling in

Same happened here, both home and business wifi unstable

Hi @sophia_dan thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised here.

We can't troubleshoot business WiFi unfortunately but if you need to discuss your Business account, the contact methods are here.

In terms of your residential broadband, is this occurring on a wired connection too? Can you perform a speed test to identify what speeds you're getting?

Many thanks

Tom_W