cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Wi-Fi

KitCatC
Tuning in

Hi there,

I'm having a few issues with my Wi-Fi that's been going on for about 3 weeks now.

It keeps dropping connection, very laggy, cutting in and out. You get the picture.

I've moved the router away from the TV, as I've found this can supposedly interrupt the Wi-Fi connection, this hasn't worked.

I've restarted the router multiple times and this hasn't helped the issue. 

On a speed test, rather than getting 120 mbps (like I've had before), I now get 60 mbps, or it will start dropping to 0 mbps and then pick itself back up to 60 mbps again. 

I have a PC that is on a wired connection and that gets a consistent 100 mbps, but with the other two PC's, they will constantly drop off of the Wi-Fi or still be connected, but lose Internet connection. 

Any advice is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can be any number of external environmental factors that affect Wifi.

Are the Wifi bands split with their own SSID’s?

Have you used a Wifi scanner app to look for congested channels?

Then set each band to a fixed, less congested, non-overlapping channel?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

What optimisation have you carried out on the Wifi already?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

None at all, it has been working fine for about 7 months (since it's been installed), now all of a sudden, this unstable-ness has started happening. 

Can be any number of external environmental factors that affect Wifi.

Are the Wifi bands split with their own SSID’s?

Have you used a Wifi scanner app to look for congested channels?

Then set each band to a fixed, less congested, non-overlapping channel?

Hi,

Apologies, I didn't understand most of that! 

I downloaded a Wifi Analyzer app, and there seems to be other Virgin Media routers on the same channel.

How would I change the channel of which my router is on, is this something that I can do?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes you logon to the hub on 192.168.0.1, password on bottom of hub, be careful it’s not the s,e as the WiFi password. I think it’s under advance settings. Note you should only use 1, 6 or 11 channel on the 2.4GHz band.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you need to change wifi settings then you will probably have to disable any "intelligent wifi" and "automatic optimisation" if they are optional.  You'll certainly have to disable the "auto channel select", but the other/s may still be optional.  If you leave them enabled then the hub will start swapping channels of its own accord, and its often that behaviour that causes instability.

Can anybody who still relies on the Hub 3's wifi confirm what the various automatic settings need to be?  I've long since stopped relying on the hub's wifi and run the hub in modem mode with my own wifi gear, so when I log in I can't see whatever the latest firmware offers as options.  

KitCatC
Tuning in

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and helpful advice, I changed over channels to one that wasn't being used and that seems to have fixed the issue - seems like everyone down my road had VM! I counted 5!

Wi-Fi Analyzer's are a god-send! 

Yet again, thanks for the help!

Hi KitCatC,
Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community and welcome back, glad to hear the advice in our community regarding changing the channel resolved your issue, if you have any further issues or have something you wish to share which may help others, please do not hesitate to reach back out, keep well.

Regards

Paul.

I have had the same issue with my wi-fi  dropping around the same time every night which is very annoying

I have set the following after doing a quick scan, We live in a flat and out of 6 5 have VM as its the only decent service as BT do not have fibre here yet.

Anyway I have changed the settings to  Wireless Mode 802.11g/n mixed  channel  6 and turned off channel optomisation

Also on the 5GHz  ( enabled) the settings are 802.11a/n/ac  Channel 40

Can someone confirm if that is ok?