cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable Connection

GaiaWilds
Tuning in

Good morning,

I had hoped that I wouldn't have to resort to the forums but unfortunately I've found that the telephone and live chat support are entirely unwilling to listen to the information that I'm giving them (often hyperfixating on making WiFi changes when I've clearly stated that I'm testing on a wired connection).

In the past couple of weeks, my connection's download speed has dropped from ~220Mbps to ~93Mbps while the upload speed stayed the same at ~22Mbps. However, this was somewhat stable at the time. Now, I'm finding that my connection can barely stay open for more than a minute before dropping out and reconnecting.

I opened up the admin portal for my router and found the following error codes in the network log (Mac addresses ommited):

09/07/2022 07:41:48Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:41:26criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:41:26Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:41:26criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:41:24Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:41:24criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:46Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:46criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:29Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:29criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:23Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:23criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:15Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/07/2022 07:40:15criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CMTS-MAC=??:??:??:??:??:??;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

I understand that the telephone/live support are working from a set of canned responses but It's simply not good enough. I've been offered a technician visit on Wednesday but what do I do until then? As I sometimes work from home, am I expected to just stop working?

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gaia

11 REPLIES 11

Thank you for the help!

To be perfectly honest, I've been considering leaving Virgin for a while now. The speeds are fantastic when they're consistent but the connection is so unreliable which can be a problem when working from home. I'll keep the technician visit for Wednesday but even having it that far away is going to have serious impact on my schedule for the week.

@GaiaWilds wrote:

Thank you for the help!

To be perfectly honest, I've been considering leaving Virgin for a while now. The speeds are fantastic when they're consistent but the connection is so unreliable which can be a problem when working from home. I'll keep the technician visit for Wednesday but even having it that far away is going to have serious impact on my schedule for the week.

You're welcome.

Unfortunately AFAIK there are no SLAs for the residential service - which became an issue for many during Covid 19 and since.  My neighbour works from home and has VM business broadband partly to get quicker repair times.

See what's available for your post code - we have gigabit fibre to the home offerings here now which is rolling out in many places.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!