Menu
Chudaavda
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unleashing our fastest ever broadband

I have my own website and all of a sudden I cannot connect to it whilst on virgin broadband connection. I can connect to it on any other wifi connection and on my 02 4G mobile . As soon as I try on virgin broadband I get the following error: ERR_COONECTION_TIMED_OUT. 

I have spoken to virgin for over 5 hours in total and about 6 different people and they say the connection is fine, and then put me through to a team that wants to charge to try and fix the problem. Not sure why I should be paying when it's a virgin error. To me it feels like that virgin may have blocked access to the website. I have checked proxy, firewall, re-set the router and everything else you can think of. It's now getting to a stage where I am losing my patience with virgin and their lack of support to fix this problem.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unleashing our fastest ever broadband

If you put the Hub into modem mode it will have a different IP address - try that and see if it connects then.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Chudaavda
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. How do I put the hub into modem mode? If it does connect what does that mean and what do I do moving forward?

And if it doesn't work?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

not sure why the first suggestion is to try modem mode but lets follow that - to set the hub to modem mode log into the hub and the setting is there - to get into the hub in modem mode the address changes to 192.168.100.1 - in modem mode you have a different ip so i guess the thinking above is that by trying a different ip address it proves if something is blocking you router mode ip - but as its your own website i would assume you have not blocked yourself - its possible your host ha

all that apart you need to look at other things - you are trying to log in via wifi - try it on a wired connection - do you have problems accessing other sites via your VM connection

post some info

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

if you are happy to post a link to your website and see if others on VM can access it

Tony
0 Kudos
Chudaavda
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this, I give this a go this evening.

I've already tried a wired connection and that does not connect me to my website either and I can access all other websites on virgin mobile just not my own. :-(

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@-tony- wrote:

i guess the thinking above is that by trying a different ip address it proves if something is blocking you router mode ip - but as its your own website i would assume you have not blocked yourself - its possible your host has

Wouldn't be the first time a host blocks a customers ip address - it happened to me once (technical glitch they said!) Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Chudaavda
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you all for the tips and advice on the forum! Turns out it was the host server blocking my site access, all fixed now. Kinda feel that Virgin team should be able to be able to advise on this type of error when it happens though. 

0 Kudos