Menu
Eqi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Underground wifi

Hi,

So my question is related to the wifi at the tube stations. On the tfl underground stations we do have two networks 1. Virgin Media and 2. Virgin Media wifi (portal). I will try to describe my issues with both of them as i cant make any of them work properly.

1.VM wifi portal.

I do enter the station. I can see a very good wifi signal. I am connecting to the network very well. The portal asks me for the service provider. I do login with my account and password of my Virgin Mobile account. I get connected. Free to use wifi and works very well.

Now, when i get to the next station. My phone doesn’t automatically connect to the network, however i ignore it and force it manually again and it prompts Me to login again on the portal page asking for login with account and password. I still ignore it and trying to login. Now - there are 2 issues I randomly get: 1. “sorry, we’ve encountered and error and you have not signed in” 

D7F39190-371E-4346-A0EC-23E83297A6E3.jpeg

 2. or sometimes it says “Oops! You seem to have too many devices connected to our service, please try again later” 

41769D08-4C5F-4C37-B16E-FC2832CDE126.jpeg

 and wont let me get through portal until my Lease expires. Not to mention that i get good signal at every station - it is just the portal wont let me through. And i do use only one device. The problem is that every new login that i am asked is recognised as a new device. It looks like a proof that the problem stays behind the VM login server that wont let me pass through to the wifi connection. A bit of shame that THREE is using same portal and has no issues - as i am a customer that moved to VM as indeed has a better coverage but the downside of it is lack of service on the TFL Underground.

2. Also about the locked Virgin Media that connects you through the VM Connect App. At the first station i get connected manually. Got connection- got internet. Now - dont want to mention about automatic connection as i am not getting it anyway for some reason and I would be happy even if it would work when i force connect it manually. On 80% of the stations that i travel through (around 20)  it wont give me either network connection or internet even if i get connected on a full signal to the network. 

Almost 5 months took me to test different ways of getting a good connection in different ways and different stations. Still no luck. And I really don’t want to move my provider again as i hope people here will help get a proper TFL wifi.

I believe that if the “Oops! You seem to have too many devices connected to our service, please try again later” can be removed - it can sort the issue out. As well as probably same happens with Virgin Media (locked network). It just doesn’t have a portal page to tell you that. 

I did try to Remove/Reinstall Apps and Profiles and nothing worked. So dont even suggest that. 

Using iphone 7. With last version update.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Underground wifi

Hi Eqi,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues connecting to the underground WiFi, and I can appreciate you're keen to get this working properly.

We would always recommend using the connect app to connect to the WiFi on the underground, so we'll run through getting that up and running properly.

Are you able to connect to hotspots normally that aren't on the underground?

Can you please try forgetting any saved networks in your device's settings and trying to connect again with the app?

If this doesn't work, then we may need to take a closer look.

Please let us know.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Eqi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have not tried other Virgin hotspots, but i have no issues connecting other private hotspots or wifi networks.

So if we are trying to dig into connect app these are the issues on it.

1. Asking for a password even though it shouldn't on the connect app

BECB4F86-D179-49DE-8A55-B0536064F761.jpeg

2. Incorrect password. When never even tried to insert one.

7EC3C60D-3118-494E-AAF6-B15ABDAD5137.jpeg

3. Connected to network but no internet access.

A2D3590F-AEB5-4840-B32B-C0D688D67EA6.jpeg

The app confirms connection 

EDD6EF2D-4AFA-460A-A649-60AA2333A0FF.jpeg

5. And the most common unlimited connection time which ends up with “Unable to connect”

4EE7825A-56A5-4DE0-BF78-88BECD461FFD.jpeg

I do get normal automatic connections in about 3-4 stops out of 20.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your message Eqi,

Is it certain stations that you struggle to connect at? 

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Eqi
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I do get normal automatic connections in about 3-4 stops out of 20.

I didn’t make a note of which station give me a certain error because it is quite a hassle.

at the same time I thought it’s easier to sort out the problem with Virgin Media Wifi. As there i get very good connection at all station - and its just one main error saying that too many devices connected.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I will look into this for you Eqi.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos