cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use Bridge mode & Slow upload speeds

spongeym
Tuning in

Had an issue with my Hub 4 a few weeks ago, was told to hard reset my hub. I then set it back up and my internet immediately started working, but normally have my Hub in Modem mode as I use Unifi for all my networking needs. When changing to Modem mode the internet dropped. Changed it back to Router and it works.

No setting changed on my Unifi setup during my outage and I've not updated any of its software. Strangely since this, I can now connect to the Hub on both 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.0.1. I thought you could only access either, based on the mode it was set in.

Spoke to Virgin again and they just remotely changed the Hub to Modem but got the issue again, therefore having to run in Router mode to get internet, but get DNS issues as I use my own custom and can't change it when in Router mode.

Any thoughts? Or just a faulty Hub?!

I also have had extremely strange upload speeds on a Gig1 connection. Connected directly to the hub 4, I get approx. 950mbps down, but uploads fluctuate wildly! It starts at approx 9mbps, goes up to 25, 50 then sharply down to 9 or less. I noticed that when more than one of us in the house is on a video call we get bad connection warnings on our computers.

Again, this is directly connected to the Hub, only my laptop via ethernet. All cabling has been swapped out for new, mix of Cat5 & 6 cables to rule out a cable issue.

24 REPLIES 24

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello spongeym,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with hub and unifi.
What is the service like with just our Hub?

Gareth_L

Hi, 

When connected directly to the Hub, upload speeds are the same, start off high, then drop really low.

The strange thing is I can connect to the Hub interface when its set in Router mode via both 192.168.100.1 & 192.168.0.1, normally can only connect via the IP address for the mode the router is set in.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try setting up from the start again and see the notes section below:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub. 

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the reply, the config on the Unifi side hasn't changed, just checked again and my WAN port settings are still set to DHCP.

I've had to factory reset the Hub 4 multiple times to get the connection working. I can only get the internet working if it's set to Router mode. As soon as I change to Modem mode the connection drops.

Not sure if you saw in my original post, I only encountered this issue after a VM outage. I had to reset the VM Hub 4 and since that issue it's not able to connect via Modem mode and my upload speeds are awful.

Hi Spongeym, welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting. 
Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your set up at the moment. 

Having had a look on our systems the speeds reaching your hub in the last week look consistent, averaging 1142mpbs download speed and 47mbps upload speed. The signals coming into your hub from the exchange are also not showing any cause for concern at the moment. 

It may be that the issues you are having with your hub and networking set up are affecting your speeds. I will happily offer further support with this but will need to send you a PM to confirm a few account details so I can investigate. 

You will find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

We can then return to this public thread when/where possible. 

All the best! 

Molly

Thanks Molly, I've responded.

FYI - yes, I see the max speeds hitting 40+mbps, however I've eliminated my network during these tests. Only my laptop is connected to the Hub, it starts reasonably high with upload then dramatically drops making it almost unusable then the speed goes up to the max for the duration of the test.

What I experience is multiple devices with connection issues when making video calls due to poor upload speeds only when connected to the Hub, wired not my external network.

Still doesn't explain also why my Hub won't change to Modem mode and is connected via BOTH the Modem & Router IP.

I've replied to the PM.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Connect a PC to the hub and change to modem mode get PC to work in modem mode you may need to power off hub for 2mins then turn on unplug replug ethernet cable to get internet. Then connect PC to your router login and copy your PC MAC to your router and you should be able to connect your router to hub and start working.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, however the issue isn't that I don't know how to enable Modem mode, its that when it's enabled my Unifi network fails to connect to the hub. It was working prior to having to reset the router to get it working due to a VM outage.

My Unifi settings haven't changed, WAN port set to DHCP. It works fine when the Hub is in Router mode, but double NAT is then an issue.

Personally feel its a Hub issue and needs replacing. 

When in Modem mode the Hub interface should only be accessible via 192.168.100.1. Its accessible on both this address and the Router mode IP of 192.168.0.1.

Above all of this upload speeds when 2 laptops are directly connected to the Hub with no Unifi network connected, I cannot hold 2 video calls at the same time.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See the notes;

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2