Menu
triedandtested
Tuning in
Message 11 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send or receive Hostgator server emails with Virgin Media home wifi network

Morning Nicola - thank you, that worked! And all my emails seem to suddenly work as before!

I'm assuming that this is only a temporary work around for now though, until you've heard back from the relevant VM team and I can switch websafe back on and still have full access? Do you have an idea of when this might be?

0 Kudos
triedandtested
Tuning in
Message 12 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send or receive Hostgator server emails with Virgin Media home wifi network

Thanks Tim and yes, you are completely right - I wasn't using my home network when I ran that test (doh, what was I thinking?)... but I've just run it again now - after successfully switching off websafe (and as a result, my emails/cpanel all working as before!) - and fingers crossed, it's working as it should be?:

nslookup gator3042.hostgator.comLast login: Wed Aug  1 19:44:00 on ttys000

Angelas-MacBook-Air:~ Angela$ nslookup gator3042.hostgator.com

Server: 194.168.4.100

Address: 194.168.4.100#53

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: gator3042.hostgator.com

Address: 50.87.144.61

Thank you so much for picking up my problem and bringing in one of the forum team to help! I think I would still be none the wiser if it wasn't for your help... Thanks too for the email settings info too, I'll get onto that now... as well as making sure Hostgator amends that MX issue!

Thanks again.

Angela

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hello Angela

Oh well done, pleased you got it working again. Normally if a site is picked up by Websafe it is because it is considered to have risky content (virus or not suitable for children etc), sometimes there are mistakes but without knowing why it has been picked up in the first place I wouldn't like to comment yet. The team that deal with it are investigating and we normally hear back in about a week, once I hear I will let you know.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Angela

I'd just like to point out that because you are using the cpanel hostname to collect and send mails - that is why your email was also affected.

However I do stand by my recommendations for the correct email settings.

For one thing:

If you look at the DNS records for the hostnames for your domains mail servers.

C:\Users\timdu>dig @194.168.4.100 mail.funnymatters.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6-P1 <<>> @194.168.4.100 mail.funnymatters.co.uk
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53573
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.funnymatters.co.uk.       IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.funnymatters.co.uk. 14400  IN      CNAME   funnymatters.co.uk.
funnymatters.co.uk.     14400   IN      A       192.232.219.195

;; Query time: 402 msec
;; SERVER: 194.168.4.100#53(194.168.4.100)
;; WHEN: Thu Aug 02 09:59:21 GMT Summer Time 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 82

C:\Users\timdu>dig @194.168.4.100 mail.brightonfoodtours.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6-P1 <<>> @194.168.4.100 mail.brightonfoodtours.com
; (1 server found)
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26908
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.brightonfoodtours.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.brightonfoodtours.com. 14400 IN A 192.232.219.195

;; Query time: 210 msec
;; WHEN: Thu Aug 02 10:03:07 GMT Summer Time 2018
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 71

C:\Users\timdu>dig @194.168.4.100 mail.brightwellcreative.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6-P1 <<>> @194.168.4.100 mail.brightwellcreative.co.uk
; (1 server found)
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16386

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.brightwellcreative.co.uk. IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.brightwellcreative.co.uk. 14400 IN A       192.232.219.195

;; Query time: 213 msec
;; WHEN: Thu Aug 02 10:05:05 GMT Summer Time 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 74

All give expected results while the hostgator server lookup

C:\Users\timdu>dig @194.168.4.100 gator3042.hostgator.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6-P1 <<>> @194.168.4.100 gator3042.hostgator.com
; (1 server found)
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6302

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gator3042.hostgator.com.       IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gator3042.hostgator.com. 0      IN      A       62.252.172.241

;; Query time: 23 msec
;; WHEN: Thu Aug 02 10:07:06 GMT Summer Time 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 68

Is the only one affected by the Virus Safe interception.

Now I'm going to say something important here.

Just because the settings you are currently using work, doesn't mean you should keep on using them!!

Hosting and email providers have recommended settings for their servers, and as a rule you should ALWAYS make sure that your settings are up to date.

Now before I posted my recommended settings, I did double check that the servers were receiving connections on the ports I mentioned, and they all worked.  Obviously I couldn't log in because I don't have an account.  But the servers ALL responded on the expected ports.

POP3

OpenSSL> s_client -connect mail.funnymatters.co.uk:995 -quiet -CAfile c:\cacert.pem
depth=2 C = GB, ST = Greater Manchester, L = Salford, O = COMODO CA Limited, CN = COMODO RSA Certification Authority
verify return:1
depth=1 C = GB, ST = Greater Manchester, L = Salford, O = COMODO CA Limited, CN = COMODO RSA Domain Validation Secure Server CA
depth=0 OU = Domain Control Validated, OU = "Hosted by HostGator.com, LLC.", OU = PositiveSSL Wildcard, CN = *.hostgator.com
+OK Dovecot ready.
quit
+OK Logging out

IMAP

OpenSSL> s_client -connect mail.funnymatters.co.uk:993 -quiet -CAfile c:\cacert.pem
depth=2 C = GB, ST = Greater Manchester, L = Salford, O = COMODO CA Limited, CN = COMODO RSA Certification Authority
depth=1 C = GB, ST = Greater Manchester, L = Salford, O = COMODO CA Limited, CN = COMODO RSA Domain Validation Secure Server CA
depth=0 OU = Domain Control Validated, OU = "Hosted by HostGator.com, LLC.", OU = PositiveSSL Wildcard, CN = *.hostgator.com
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE NAMESPACE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
? logout
* BYE Logging out
? OK Logout completed.

SMTP

C:\Users\timdu>openssl
OpenSSL> s_client -connect mail.funnymatters.co.uk:587 -quiet -starttls smtp -CAfile c:\cacert.pem
250 HELP
quit
221 gator3042.hostgator.com closing connection

Now the SMTP server DOES give an interesting result when closing - however it's not surprising.

quit
221 gator3042.hostgator.com closing connection

Now I note that this is the hostname that you normally connect to - so why when I connected to mail.funnymatters.co.uk was I getting responses from gator3042.hostgator.com?

This is because - in many cases the server you are connecting to ISN'T the final server that receives the connection.

Virgin Media's email servers work in exactly the same way BTW

When we connect to smtp.virginmedia.com our final connection actually goes to one of 16 SMTP servers which actually process the SMTP messages and sends the mail.  Now in theory it should be possible to connect directly to those servers - except they are firewalled to only accept connections that are coming in via Virgin Media's email gateway addresses.

However if the firewall wasn't there would it be ok to set my outgoing mail directly to one of the mail servers - even if it worked.

ANSWER - NO

Using recommended settings, means that if your hosts make changes in the background say they retire one server and move your hosting to another, while the Cpanel address will change - OTHER FUNCTIONS SUCH AS MAIL, WEB etc will automatically be proxied to the new server WITH NO NEED FOR YOU TO CHANGE YOUR EMAIL SETTINGS.

You'd still use mail.funnymatters.co.uk for your email and your web would still point to the address given in funnymatters.co.uk.

So I recommend changing your email settings.

• You'd have still had access to your mail when using the correct settings as the lookups weren't impacted by Virus Safe
  • You'll be future proofing your email setup.

While I know the old saying says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  But sometimes you need to consider "Just because it works, it can be tweaked to work better!"

With the latter in mind please consider updating your email settings.

Tim

P.S.  When you speak to hostgator just ask them to change the entry for mail.funnymatters.co.uk.

This is the record you should use

mail.funnymatters.co.uk.     14400   IN      A       192.232.219.195

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

triedandtested
Tuning in
Message 15 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

Thanks again for your help! As you suggested, I have gone in and made sure all the settings are now as you listed. I've not yet managed to get back to Hostgator support re the MX amend, but will get that sorted ASAP too and pass on your instructions/directions.

Thank you again - very appreciated!

Nicola - thanks for your reply, I'll wait to hear back on what the VM team say re websafe. Thanks!

Angela

Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@triedandtested

You can update your own DNS records via cPanel

https://support.hostgator.com/articles/how-to-change-dns-zones-mx-cname-and-a-records

You need to simple delete the CNAME record mail.funnymatters.co.uk and add an A record in it's place.

Tim

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 17 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Morning Angela and Tim

I have just been notified that gator3042.hostgator.com is hopefully removed form the Websafe list so will no longer go via the proxy. I am unable to confirm it myself due to the way it works, @ravenstar68 Tim please would you check please and if okay it should be good to switch Websafe preferences back on.

Thank you both

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@Nicola_C

I'm having difficulty testing - I'm going to drop you a PM to discuss.

Tim

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 19 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for trying, will discuss it in via PM!

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tested with Virus Safe switched on:

C:\Users\timdu>dig gator3042.hostgator.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6-P1 <<>> gator3042.hostgator.com
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 13501

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gator3042.hostgator.com.       IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gator3042.hostgator.com. 38133  IN      A       50.87.144.61

;; Query time: 16 msec
;; WHEN: Wed Aug 08 10:50:09 GMT Summer Time 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 68

So it seems to be fixed.

@triedandtested - you should be able to turn Virus Safe back on and still access the site now.  Give it a try and let us know.

Tim