cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to reset wifi password.

cathaven
On our wavelength

I followed the online instructions - opened the page for wifi options, and naturally was asked for my current wifi password. I got "password not recognized" every time I tried it.
Now this is the correct password. It's the one on the bottom of my Superhub 2, and I only recently connected a new Raspberry Pi to the network, using that password.
VM help is useless on this subject. I rung, was told to reboot the hub & if it still didn't work, go to the website they texted me the address for and get further help.
I ran the gauntlet of selecting all the best options, of the choices given - twice, but got nowhere. The message us section has no link, or address to facilitate this.
The forum appears to be my only option.
Please, how do I fix the issue that my hub doesn't recognize my password, even though that password lets me connect on all of my devices?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

If you’re trying to login use the settings password - which is different to the WiFi password  - it should also be on the hub unless you’ve changed it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

If you held the reset switch in for a full minute - that sounds like a duff hub!

VM Staff should pick this up presently!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It can be tricky - do it exactly like this....
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub
See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

16 REPLIES 16

g0akc
Problem sorter

If you’re trying to login use the settings password - which is different to the WiFi password  - it should also be on the hub unless you’ve changed it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

cathaven
On our wavelength

I tried that at the start, but I'm pretty certain I reset that one, as it was suggested in the password itself.
Since VM tested my connection, fixed what they found & told me to reboot the hub, I'd forgotten and was using the wifi password. So I tried the settings password again,and still no luck. I have one thing left to try. If my previous resetting of the hub was prevented by whatever VM said they'd fixed, I shall reset it yet again & see if that helps.

A factory (pin-hole) reset should set both the WiFi and Settings passwords back to their defaults:

I just did my third factory reset of the day, and it still won't recognize the settings password!

If you held the reset switch in for a full minute - that sounds like a duff hub!

VM Staff should pick this up presently!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It can be tricky - do it exactly like this....
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub
See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I have known resets on given things not to work so you may need a new hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I rang them again, and because my previous call hadn't fixed the issue, they put me on to an engineer. He was looking into it, but sadly, the 2nd time I was put on hold, there was an error & I got cut off. I'm holding on in the hope they they'll ring back, rather than me ringing again & getting a different person. 
I'll leave it for now, but if I don't hear back before tomorrow, I'll follow your instructions, to see if that works. If not, I'll ring again. Thanks.

cathaven
On our wavelength

Ironically, shortly after we first got this Superhub 2, we had a phone call from VM, offering to upgrade us to a new model for free. My partner answered, and since we'd only just had our hub replaced, and it worked fine, she declined.

A few months ago we were having connection issues (which were caused by bad old wiring), and I mentioned this to the engineer. He told us we'd have to stick with the one we had for now, as the COVID situation was causing problems with supply & they simply didn't have a new one to give us.