Menu
rplescia
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unable to remotely connect to PC on my Hub 3

I have a PC running a Plex server connected to my router for years (on EE/BT), no issues being able to remotely log on to it, ping it etc from within my home network. Since moving to a new house and having to move to Virgin (as BT have no fibre in this are) and Hub 3 I'm no longer able to connect my PCs remotely from within my own network... Can't even ping the damn thing!

Working in IT I'm pretty savvy when it comes to these things and having gone through the entire admin interface for the router I've found nothing that would be causing this issue, at least from what I could see. I've found calling virgin support a pretty horrendous experience and my own technical knowledge seemed to far exceed the lady in Bangalore who could only answer questions from her script...

I've found a couple of posts on reddit slagging off the Hub 3, before I go out to buy another to replace the one Vigrin install I wanted to check if anyone has had the same experience and perhaps have a solution for me?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to remotely connect to PC on my Hub 3

As you are IT savvy and thus are bound to have more demanding needs than the average customer, I think you will quickly realise that the best place for the Hub3 is modem mode hooked up to your own wireless router having all the features that you might need.... will serve you much better.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
rplescia
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's unfortunate that Virgin's Hub 3 is restricted in this way, this is not a very 'technical' requirement to be able to connect to other devices on your home network, it should be par for the course. I've never experienced this sort of issues with the standard equipment shipped by other ISPs and would expect Virgin's equipment to be a bit more 'premium' in-line with their broadband service... apparently not so

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It may actually do what you require, I haven't tried and dont have a Hub3 - I have an SH2 in modem mode with my own router. Someone else should be able to answer that soon. The Hub3 is in no way a premium item - many believe its not even as good as the SH2's, there are all sorts of firmware bugs that limit things (DHCP being a recent bugbear on here) and it is severely lacking in features and processing power that frustrate the advanced users

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@rplescia wrote:

this is not a very 'technical' requirement to be able to connect to other devices on your home network, it should be par for the course.

i would disagree on that one. a standard home user won't be doing anything like that.

rplescia
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think this may be the issue as I can't even ping other devices... I might try assigning static IP's to each device and see if that works. Otherwise I'm going to invest in one of these, seems to get good reviews and doesn't break the bank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C50-V3-AC1200/dp/B075PDLQ2Y?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

@jbrennand wrote:
there are all sorts of firmware bugs that limit things (DHCP being a recent bugbear on here) 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) functions of all the VM hubs are notoriously bad at directing external traffic to the appropriate internal IP address.

The manual port forwarding section of this Plex support article is probably your best bet if you want to stick with the Hub 3 in router mode:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200931138-troubleshooting-remote-access/

The VM help page on how to setup port forwarding is here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-set-up-port-forwarding-port-triggering#hub3

I use my own router to avoid headaches such as this, because it has working UPnP that directs traffic without the need for any port forwarding.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@rplescia wrote:

I think this may be the issue as I can't even ping other devices... I might try assigning static IP's to each device and see if that works. Otherwise I'm going to invest in one of these, seems to get good reviews and doesn't break the bank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C50-V3-AC1200/dp/B075PDLQ2Y?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

That router only seems to have 10/100 LAN ports - not good if you want >100mbps wired speeds.  Only single processor too.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 port forwarding is notoriously hard, so it's best to use your own router with the hub in modem mode.

As for UPnP: call me paranoid but I don't like programs doing port forwarding so I disable UPnP and do all port forwarding myself.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@rplescia wrote:

I'm going to invest in one of these, seems to get good reviews and doesn't break the bank

Don't get that one it does not have 1Gb ports.

0 Kudos