cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to obtain IP address

stuartnicol
Joining in

I have a Virgin Hub 3 which has been running without issue for years. However, on Sunday devices such as my Windows 10 PC, Amazon echo and Android phone are unable to get internet access when connecting to the hub with the message "Unable to obtain IP address". What is weird is that I have a repeater, games consoles and smart plugs connected over WiFi to the hub which all still work. Also, I have a wired connection from a console to the hub which works ok. Even stranger, I can still get internet access via my phone and PC when I connect them to the repeater rather than the hub, but this is throttling the performance of the likes of MS Teams calls for work. I have trawled the forum for similar posts and tried various suggestions I found. I have tried rebooting everything and done a reboot and a hard reset on the hub but so far nothing has worked. The white light comes on, on the hub after resets / reboots so it "appears" to be working ok. I am worried that if the repeater loses its connection to the hub that I won't have any internet connection. Any ideas, suggestions or solutions would be great?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stuartnicol
Joining in

Finally managed to get router working again. Basically I switched the router off and then switched off every single internet connected device (turns out I have a lot!). I brought the router back up and then systematically switched each device on one at a time and tested that it could connect to the router ok. Took a bit off time but everything seems to be back to normal and working now. I still don't know the root cause of the issue and why it started in the first place but it looks as though (yet again) switching everything off and back on did the trick! 🙂

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

stuartnicol
Joining in

Finally managed to get router working again. Basically I switched the router off and then switched off every single internet connected device (turns out I have a lot!). I brought the router back up and then systematically switched each device on one at a time and tested that it could connect to the router ok. Took a bit off time but everything seems to be back to normal and working now. I still don't know the root cause of the issue and why it started in the first place but it looks as though (yet again) switching everything off and back on did the trick! 🙂

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like the DHCP server on the Hub got itself into a mess.    If this continues, you would be better off getting a proper Router from a decent manufacturer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks