cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to disable SSID Broadcasting on Hub 3

Alan_H
On our wavelength

I've just had a Hub 3 installed, replacing a Super Hub 2ac, to allow connection of my home phone service to the fibre network.

I've been setting things up and find I'm unable to disable SSID Broadcasting the option is greyed out in Hub3 Setting Advanced Settings -> Wireless -> Security. Is there something I can change so that I can alter the setting please?

60 REPLIES 60

zeefour
Up to speed

Just to confirm I also can't disable SSID on either 2.4 or 5GHz (just for info). Will await a firmware update!

For me, the option to broadcast the 2.4 GHz SSID broadcast is stuck on No and option to change this is greyed out.

If I set different SSID on 5 GHz then I can make the change to enable SSID for the 5 GHz signal to be broadcast, but the 2.4 GHz SSID boardcast option remains greyedout and set to No/

Reading through comments this seems to be a firmware issue rather than something that I can fix at my end (Hub 3.0 device / Hardware version : 10 / Software version : 9.1.2109.200)

Yesterday I received the email below from virginmedia, so maybe there is a software upgrade / fix coming through on 7th November?

Your gadgets connect to your home WiFi using two networks, and will select which one depending on how far away you are from a Hub or Booster. One of your networks (2.4GHz or 5GHz) in your home WiFi seems to have been disabled which negatively impacts your WiFi experience.

Get more from your home WiFi

To stop your home WiFi being held back, we’d like to enable both of the networks. This’ll allow our latest Intelligent WiFi technology to switch your devices between the two WiFi networks while you move around the house – so you can enjoy better WiFi signal.

Intelligent Wi-Fi also spots when your devices are running into a traffic jam and automatically switches them to a better network.

Don't worry - if any of your devices only support the 2.4GHz network (perhaps because they're older), Intelligent WiFi will pick that up and stop the device from switching between the two networks, helping it to perform at its best.

Giving you an even better connection, when you need it

The 2.4GHz network typically has the longest range. Like a marathon runner, it covers longer distances, slower. The 5GHz network covers short distances, faster - like a sprinter. This makes it base for gadgets nearer your Hub or Booster. Our Intelligent WiFi helps to make sure your gadgets connect to the best network.

To update your settings, there's nothing you need to do - we'll do this for you on the 7th of November.

Don't want to have your networks managed into one Intelligent WiFi network? Just let us know here if you want to opt out by 11:59pm on the 3rd of November.

Take care,
The Virgin Media team

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Send a vote to VM by using modem mode VM at some point will remove being able to disable WiFi!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I had that e-mail too. Even though the 2.4 is on. I would like to be able to stop the SSID though.

If it ia a firmware update they should say so but all it says is

"To stop your home WiFi being held back, we’d like to enable both of the networks. This’ll allow our latest Intelligent WiFi technology to switch your devices between the two WiFi networks while you move around the house – so you can enjoy better WiFi signal. "

All on already. Oh well!

It does look like VirginMedia team have fixed one problem and created another.

Although I can now enable and use 2.4 I am no longer able to hide the SSIDs

Before the update I had the SSIDs hidden, now this is stuck on and there doesn't seem to be a way that I can fix this

Hi @W4

It has been confirmed this is a known issue which will be resolved in the next release Firmware update 5.6.2.

The date of this has yet to be announced.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

At last !!!

The Truth be known.......In the End.

After trying literally *everything* peeps have suggested, inc trolling through unhelpful YT vids to get my Hub 3 SSID disabled.

Had a hunch it was a software problem. Understandable now why all suggested resolutions completely Failed to work.

Role-On Firmware UpDate. Just Perleaze Virgin keep us informed ! Thank You 🙂

Thanks for the update @TS2, and I'm pleased to hear that this has now been resolved.

We'll do all we can to keep our users informed moving forward.

All the best,

David_Bn

Hi,

just checking if there’s any word on the update yet? 
I have the same issue that I’d like Virgin media to rectify if possible…

thanks

Be Social-Network Smart - whiteboard animation. Watch here:

Hi RUAJW

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. There's no update yet but have reached out to the team

best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill