Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect to router after installing TP link powerline

Hi, 

Recently I have purchased a set of TP Link powerline . I have successfully managed to sync and connect my powerline with superhub to get internet on attic. So internet set is :

1st Powerline is wired to superhub. 

2nd Powerline on Attic and is wired to my Wifi Extender (instead of wired connection to laptop)

The problem is I can connect to internet on attic over Wifi Extender but when I'm on ground floor I try and connect to superhub but after installing the Powerline , I cannot connect to superhub and all the devices that are connected via superhub gets disconnected. I have tried many different things but nothing works . Any chance someone can advise something?. I feel like it's might be the super Hub issue?. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to router after installing TP link powerline

If the Hub is in Modem Mode you need to use the IP Address 192.168.100.1.

In Modem Mode only 1 ethernet port is enabled.

If the Hub is in Router Mode you need to use the IP Address 192.168.0.1.

Try the connecting the laptop to the Hub by using the ethernet cable that goes to the Power Line Adaptor.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

I have just checked and the modem mode is not enabled. I'm not what's the issue is. Any more help? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Did you connect up as advised ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Yes, my laptop is getting around 90mbps when wired to superhub. So wondering, what's the likely the issue then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Attitude-24 wrote:

Hello,

Yes, my laptop is getting around 90mbps when wired to superhub. So wondering, what's the likely the issue then?

OK.

Reconnect the Power Line Adaptor (PLA) next to the Hub.

then

Go to the furthest PLA and disconnect your WAP and connect the laptop using the ethernet cable and run another speed test.

What do you get ?

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

That works but why adding WiFi extender to Powerline causing devices to lose connection to superhub and cannot connect to superhub?. Any idea or work around?. My work Mac laptop doesn't have a ethernet port but my personal laptop does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Start with the Mac not having an ethernet port. Adaptors are available from the regular online places and TBH always use ethernet in preference to Wi-Fi.

As for the dropping out of the Wi-Fi, it is difficult to visualise the LAN to make any kind of comment about it.

Sometimes a simple line drawing of how the network is set up can help enormously to figure things out.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello,

Just want to let you know that I have managed to fix the issue. I just changed the WIFI externder operation mode to from "Wifi extender" to "Access Point" and then wired the second Powerline to Wifi extender . Not it's working .🙂

So overall 

1st Powerline wired to superhub

2nd Powerline wired to Wifi extender (After changing the operation mode from "Wifi extender" to "Access Point". In my TP link App settings. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Attitude-24 I'm guessing that in "WiFi Extender" mode the TP Link has it's own DHCP server and that would clash with the VM hub's DHCP server.  Having more than one DHCP server on the same subnet can cause issues, because devices don't know which server to ask for an IP address, and you get conflicts and network collision and all kinds of annoyances.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos