cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to dynamic ip

Knin3
Joining in

Hi guys,

I cant seem to connect to a dynamic ip, I have a horrible feeling ive been hacked and im connecting to a server of some sort, but if I try to make my ip dynamic I just lose connection and can not connect to the default gateway. Anyone able to help me plz

15 REPLIES 15

Knin3
Joining in

If I run ipconfig from cmd when I have dynamic naming on it gives me a dynamic ip but does not list the default gateway, hence I can not connect, if I remove it I connect fine. If I change the ip addresss by one number lets say and do ipconfig it says im still using the old ip address. Anyone who knows networking stuff know whats going on here or anyone able to give me a few directions to see if we can dig deeper. Id appreciate any help given

Thankyou

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
reset the hub to defaults
---------------------------------------------------------------

Ive done that but it changes nothing, its almost like it has a script running which sets it up after reset

g0akc
Problem sorter

Strange that this issue persists after a hub reboot or factory reset?

What do you see if you run an arp scan?  Even using the command arp -a at the Windows command line ?  Or using a suitable app.  Do you recognise the addresses or the devices as being on your network?

Are you able to capture packets?  Are you able to use say Wireshark and at all familiar with pcap? If so, can you look at the bootstrap protocol (BOOTP) exchange between the device and the router?  That is the DHCP exchange, so you can see what is offered/requested.  see here     This may be too advanced, but if you can do this, what do you get?

Finally, do you have any power line adaptors or anything like that in your network?  Often people end up being on a neighbours network though such.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi ty for the great reply but I have to be honest networks really confuse me so this is why ive had trouble with this for over a year. If I go into event viewer im always seeing dodgy stuff with other logons and accounts. I even run nord vpn and when I do this is a public network not a private network, that isnt right is it? When I run that arp command the first ip is dynamic this is the router ip 192.168.0.1, but the rest are all listed as static, ips I do not recognise, ipconfig shows my ipv4 as static. Does this sound like im mixing things up or does it sound like im connected to someoneelsess ip bcuss im sure someone has me connected to a server as all my files are shared and the only pc on my home network is mine, no other connections

btw im not running nord vpn right now, ever since i noticed it was a public network I just have not connected since

Ive noticed something now aswell, when I first tryed this, I disabled the dhcp settings in the router pages, and I could no longer connect but using ipconfig I could see I had a dynamic ipv4 address but now when I disable I lose connection, running ipconfig it jus says media has disconnected but within 5 secs ive reconnected with the static ip even though its disabled. Same if I enable it. Does this sound weird?

Thankyou

just to clarify, once using arp -a it says at top interface which is my ip ......... 0x3, static regardless if dhcp is enabled or disabled, then the default gateway is dynamic and then theres 6 other ip address`s with there physical address`s very similar. all static. 

g0akc
Problem sorter

What IP address does your pc have without the VPN?

it sounds like that’s confusing things 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!