cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to WiFi as network not showing in list

Melb2
Joining in

Hi, Virgin Media, upgraded my Broadband yesterday, faster, and since then I cannot connect my Sony Vaio laptop as the network does not show in the list. The WiFi works on all other devices iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Samsung tablet. There is also a hidden network showing which I’ve tried but this not isn’t working either and I’m unsure whether it is mine or not. Other VM networks are showing just not mine. I’ve tried turning off the router and hun and resetting but that still hasn’t worked. I also cannot to the personal hotspot on my iPhone either. Any ideas and fixes would be great. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As legacy1 says..... do it this way

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3 wifi issues for certain devices.
Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords - select the best one for each device

5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Split the SSID names for your WiFi in the hub settings.

Or get your own router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As legacy1 says..... do it this way

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3 wifi issues for certain devices.
Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords - select the best one for each device

5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, thank you for your help. I have done everything suggested but unfortunately it’s still not showing either options in the network list. I think it may be the hidden network as that’s the strongest signal but I’m unable access that either. Is there a way of deleting the hidden network entirely?  
Many thanks Mel

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not sure - I think it may be the VM Hotspot - have you not opted out of that? Or do you have any other VM equipment (boosters/Pods) running? Or is it a close neighbours? Can you actually connect to it?

I wouldnt worry about it - just ignore it.

As all other devices connect OK (?) I think you should be searching in the Vaio's settings for the answer

--------------------
John
--------------------

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Mel. If you can see an SSID called Virgin Media that would be a public hot-spot being broadcast from the hub. This runs on it's own separate connection so shouldn't impact your own connection but if you'd prefer not to have it on you can opt-out via your online account virg.in/myVM.

If you're unable to see any other SSID's then I'd recommend factory-resetting the hub. With the Hub turned on, push the pinhole button all the way in and hold it there for a timed 60 seconds. Bear in mind your Hub settings and your passwords/passphrase for both the WiFi networks & settings will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card so all devices will need to be reconnected manually.  

Please let us know if that helps at all. 

Tom