Menu
JenniR81
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect to MS Remote Desktop

I have recently switched from BT to Virgin broadband, and use Superhub 3.  Ever since the switch, I have been unable to connect to my work computer via Microsoft Remote Desktop when using my home broadband.  If I use any other broadband provider when out and about, I am able to connect with no issues, so I know that the problem is purely with Virgin.

I have tried adjusting my firewall settings and port forwarding.  I have spoken to our IT support who only knew how to tackle the problem when using Superhub 2, but I can't find equivalent setting with Superhub 3.  I have also had lengthy conversations with Virgin, speaking to 7 different people before finally being told that Virgin does not support MS Remote Desktop, therefore they are unable to help me and I will have to find my own solution.  I have literally spent hours trying to resolve this, as I work from home quite often, so would appreciate any suggestions! 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to MS Remote Desktop

to help rule some things out first would be trying using modem mode on the hub -> https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... to see you can connect to the MS remote, this will limit you to one wired connection
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
JenniR81
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I had actually already tried this, and it resulted in me being locked out of the internet and my account, followed by a half hour call to Virgin to fix the problem.  I have just tried again and the same thing has happened - the system has crashed in the middle of switching to modem mode. 

Coupled with this, is the fact that my ethernet cable does not appear to be compatible with my Macbook, so even if the switch had worked, I wouldn't be able to test whether MS Remote Desktop was working.

I really wish I had never made the switch to Virgin because there seems to be no solution to the problem, which means I am no longer able to work from home, or I have to go out and find somewhere with wifi that I can use every time I need to do some work that involves accessing our accounting system.  I'm sure there must be a quick fix but Virgin are unwilling to help in any way.  And to think we only moved from BT because of the atrocious customer service!

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Karel1971
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here. Any tips are welcome. I need to work from home this week and this simply does not work. Problems started last Sunday. Until then everything seemed OK.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karel1971,

Sorry you're having this problem. Are you aware of anything that may have triggered the issue (you say it started the previous Sunday)? Had it worked previously?
If the answer to the last question is yes then I'd advise a factory reset of the Hub.

If that doesn't help please let us know what you are doing and at which it's failing for you.

Kind regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Karel1971
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

We have completely changed the router, but the issue is still the same.

To reproduce the issue:

We are using a macbook Pro and trying to connect to a remote computer using Microsoft Remote Desktop. Sometimes it drops the broadband connection right away, sometimes we can use the remote computer for 10-20 minutes, sometimes just for 1 minute. When the connection is dropped we can't connect with any other devices to the internet, like a phone, table or another computer.

When we exit from MS Remote Desktop, then the broadband connection comes back.

There is no issue at all if we are not using MS Remote Desktop.

We also tried it with using another provider: Sky and it worked fine, so I guess the problem is with Virgin.

Thanks,

Karoly

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karoly,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

A quick question please:

Are either of the pc's/Mac's you are connecting from/to (using RDC) via Ethernet or wireless?

RDC will fail to connect if there is no network access (or if the device is hibernating). So I'd like to establish whether or not there is a wireless issue here.

Kind regards, 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/welcome-to-rds

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Karel1971
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

We are using WIFI connection to connect to the router. Before using RDC there was internet via WIFI connection.

Also, as we close RDC the WIFI connection comes back.

We also tested it with Sky and it worked fine there. That's why I assume the problem is with the Virgin router itself.

Thanks,

Karoly

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karel1971, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see that you have continued to have trouble with connecting your remote desktop. 

I have spoken to a colleague about this and they have advised that it may be worth turning off the hub firewall as a test to see if that makes a difference. 

Let us know if it does and we can investigate further. 

Take care

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos