cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect TP Link Range Extender

JohnK55
Tuning in

Hi,

I've just tried to connect a TP Link RE200 range extender to my Superhub but it won't connect. I've tried both the long way & WPS but neither work.

Any idea what the problem could be?

18 REPLIES 18

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Won’t connect in what way?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Liam_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

John, are you setting up the extender in a socket near to the hub? If not, the extender may be out of range to connect to the hub.

Once setup, you can then move the device to a suitable location between your hub and the black spot.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

The extender is less than 3 feet from the hub. It's as though there's no wifi from the hub as I just tried to connect my phone & the hub isn't visible in the list of availbale networks & yes the wifi is switched on I just double checked in case I was having a senior moment!

You’ve not put it into Modem Mode have you?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

No, I think it's an issue with the router as it keeps appearing then disappearing from the available network list.

It's the original superhub so it's quite old.

Is it possible to get a replacement superhub, it looks like I have no Wifi connection to it at all. The devices I have connected by ethernet cable are all working ok

CableTiePhil
Joining in

Hi

I've just finished getting a friend's Hub 3.0 successfully extended with a TP-Link RE200, v4.  Let's say it was a bit frustrating... mainly down to out of date information being shipped with the TP device.

• The first thing to do is log into your Hub 3 and split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels into different SSIDs (e.g. VM12345 and VM12345-5GHz).  Without doing this the TP link device will not connect.
  • WPS pairing doesn't work, don't even try.
  • The TP-Link tether app (which you're told to use on the quick start guide) IS NOT compatible with this version of hardware (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/tether_compatibility_list/?utm_medium=select-local)
  • You need to configure the TP device using its internal web browser (option 2 on the quick start guide) but once you've split the channels it all goes through quite simply.  The device will pick up both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and then walk you through creating two additional networks (VM12345-EXT and VM12345-5GHz-EXT).  For simplicity, use the same password on these as your original WiFi network.
  • Setup the new extended networks on your devices and make sure they are set to connect automatically.

Hope this helps.

I don't have a Hub 3.0 I have the original Superhub, which doesn't seem to be connecting via WiFi to anything. It's visible in the list of available networks but when you select it & try to connect it tries then vanishes from the list.

I have an RE650 and had no need to split the bands.
The RE200 is not exactly new anymore, so that could be why you had to split the bands..

Have you updated the firmware on the extender as well?