For the past couple of weeks we've been experiencing regular drops in connection - pauses while watching streaming TV, disconnects from video calls, VPN connections etc. Speedtests are fluctuating wildly.
I'm seeing lots of errors in the network logs, here's my info from this morning. I rebooted the hub roughly 24 hours before this:
Looking at those stats and BQM, unless there’s an area issue you’ll need an engineer.
When was the hub last rebooted?
***** If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!! I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences. Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Finally fixed(?), but not an easy route and shocking customer support from VM:
The online diagnostic tool detected an 'intermittent' issue and applied 'some change'. Check back after 24 hours.
24 hours later, no improvement, but the diagnostic tool allows me to book an engineer. Booked for 3 days time 🙂
Engineer arrives, says the signal is too high. Takes 2x attenuators off the input cable and replaces with a different one and installs a new SH3. All seems good for a few hours, then back to the same issues.
The online detector tool encounters errors while trying to run and doesn't complete, so can't confirm if faults found or allow me to book another engineer.
Out of desperation I call and wait for a couple of hours to speak to someone. Support person (off-shore) makes a setting change their end and says it will be fixed. I ask for an engineer visit just in case (that I can cancel if the problem is really fixed), but they say they can't do that unless there is fault found, which at this time there isn't. He said the best they could do for now was make an appointment to call me back the next day to see how it was going.
The next day, issue is still present. Appointment time for call came and went - no phone call. I call and wait another 90mins or so before getting through to someone (again off-shore). He tells me that there is no policy for calling customers back - meaning that one of these two is a liar. He then proceeds to get me to change a Wi-Fi setting in the hub. I explain the issues I am having and it's affected wired connections, so isn't a wireless issue, but he arrogantly tells me that he does this thing all the time and knows what he's doing and it will definitely fix my issue. I started pushing back, insisting on arranging an engineer booking, at which time he simply says thank you for calling and hung up. I have lodged a formal complaint against this guy, but unsurprisingly I've not heard anything back on that either.
Guess what - he didn't solve my issue either. I made another call to support (earlier in the morning, but still an hour wait) and got through to someone in the UK. No questions, no problems, he simply arranged the engineer visit.
Engineer #2 arrives and listens to the issues. Confirms signal is too high, but goes to the cabinet to check. Changes slots to a lower power one (tells me there's only 2 options in that cabinet) He replaced the connectors at the same time. He also changed all the external connectors outside the house, meaning apart from the under ground cable, everything connection from the cabinet to the hub is new.
BQM monitor has been clear for 2 days now. Speeds are good but not stunning, but I'll settle for stability for the time being. PreRS Errors are all below 40 and PostRS are all at zero too. The sync error messages have also gone.
Although it seems to be working, I'm seriously un-impressed with VM customer service here, to the point where I was investigating alternative suppliers and was very close to switching away. I may still do so, but we'll see how it goes.