cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPC - Router Software Upgrade

gc28
Tuning in

Hi, 

My router looks to have upgraded in software which is now UPC branded, over the last few days browsing has been slower, the two are likely connected? 

We can rule out Wi-Fi coverage as this is over a hardwired connection (Cat6)

I've added some images, the wifi is disabled yet it thinks it's live...half-baked firmware?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SyIr5tCz-_XvU8AE__7dAP-ueBJkjP5S/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13tgGICHIi-Jtfh9a5hp1iPqgQXFOOOrU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DYpL70WDVwXnPRZF22rnGmvMpuwM3tK_/view?usp=sharing

13 REPLIES 13

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

UPC?

Is it a Hub4 by any chance?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hey!

It's a 3.0, although UPC is now referring to it as a Connect Box, so that'll show me, won't it!

The Hub 3 firmware has all the UPC branding too, the Virgin branding is just overlayed on top of it in the UK/Ireland. UPC has always been there underneath, but you shouldn't really see it unless there is a fault. Perhaps a reboot of the hub will sort it, or if not a factory reset.

My Hub4 did the same thing the other day and a reboot cured it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Thanks for the reboot idea guys

It's been an interesting few hours!

After the first power cycle, the router kept disconnecting, eventually, I reset it then loaded my config back onto it, it obviously didn’t like something in that config as it kept losing packets and missing pings from my pc.

I reset it to factory again, it then kept the same behaviour taking around 15 minutes each time to give a solid connection, I’ve let some ping images to show this behaviour.

I have a spare TP link router which I attempted to setup using modem only mode but this didn’t work, I’ll have to look into the setup of that.

Over the weekend when moving larger units over data over my internal LAN the router kept rebooting, does it sound to anyone else like it might be dying?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ts4s5-sLfbn1_ELJ1zdYIjJviU-6k_lz/view?usp=sharing

Hi gc28,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear that you are having connection issues with the hub. I'm unable to see your Google drive links. Are you able to clarify if this is only happening with browsing or with any data transfer? And have you done a speed test? Also is the hub still rebooting by itself? I've done a remote diagnostic and the connection is reading OK.

Cheers,

Corey C

hi, 

facing similar issue. the issue is not with the connection between Virgin servers and the home router but with the home router (hub 3.0 and 4.0) which have been upgraded to a UPC software that replaced all existing configurations and crashes when you try to change them. thus connections to the home router are affected.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Reboot the hub

I am having the exact same problem with the UPC firmware update, cannot change any wireless settings and done multiple reboots, avoiding doing a factory reset as I always use my own wireless SSID and don't really want to go around 20 or so devices pairing them all again.