cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two routers

sadtrekkie
Joining in

Hi, does anyone know if I can have (from the same line) two routers ? Reason being, my stepson lives in an extension on the house and struggling with WiFi extenders, could I have this done/fitted (and are engineers even working currently?)

Any advice welcome, as I don't want to clog up phone lines in the current climate

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin would not facilitate this, you need a handyman to run an ethernet cable from your hub to the extension or you could try purchasing a mesh wifi system

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin would not facilitate this, you need a handyman to run an ethernet cable from your hub to the extension or you could try purchasing a mesh wifi system

Spencer_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Hello,

Unfortunately it is only 1 Hub per account. May I suggest using Powerline Adaptors or running a long ethernet lead out to his extension, the result from either would be almost like having his own router in the room.

WiFi Extenders are not the best, usually because people are using them in a location where WiFi is pretty bad, and an extender will not strengthen the signal, only replicate the signal it is picking up. So if it has a weak signal it will only send out a weak signal.

Powerlines are different as they do not work over WiFi and instead use your electrical circuit, so there is much less loss of signal. Virgin do Powerlines but depending on what package you are on could come at a monthly cost. You could try ones very similar to the one Virgin uses and pick them up from Argos/Currys etc for a one off payment.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6214467?rec=PDP[6695749]:bottomSlider:P1:OHAT:alternative:6214467:9m...

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
A mesh system would be better suited or running a wired AP to the extension

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Alby41
Up to speed

I see your problem was May last year and you have been given advice ... has it been sorted ? I suppose so .  It is easy to acquire a wireless access point by using a connection to another router , any G or N or even better will do , access the settings , note and amend the IP  and DHCP setting and set up this router at a convenient point ,,, at an appropriate location ..... this becomes an access point NOT a router , it will receive and transmit Wifi .  for you . Other configurations may access the LAN ports also ...... I have done this and used on old but excellent TP Link router in this fashion .. There are many U tube presentations and I can advise .... good luck mate,

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Spencer_A said “Unfortunately it is only 1 Hub per account.” While this is true you can have two VM hubs if you pay for two accounts. It’s also likely that they would be connected to one incomer coax.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2