Menu
STDalley
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Two WiFi signals from one hub

I have been having a problem recently with my WiFi, which doesn't affect my usage whatsoever, but it is very strange and I'd like to know why it's happening. I have my WiFi off all the time and only switch it on every now and then. Recently, when I switch it on, I get two signals come up instead of one. One of them is named under my customised name and the other says Virgin Media. The Virgin Media one asks for a username and password to access it. I know, without a doubt that this is coming from my hub as it appears exactly when I switch my WiFi on and disappears exactly when I switch it off. Is it possible that my hub has been turned into a hotspot? I tried to speak to someone at Virgin's customer service department and they couldn't understand what I was trying to say, tried to infer that someone was magically switching their WiFi on and off at the same time as me and that neither they nor ANYONE at Virgin could check if it was a hotspot. Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two WiFi signals from one hub

The Hub 2 will send out two signals one in 2g and one 5g. The 5g signal is faster and better to use at close range (provided your device is able to access it) and the 2g is slower and better to use for longer distances from the hub.

Imagine the 5g is Usain Bolt, fast but only runs a short distance.

The 2g is a long distance runner, slower but can go further.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

STDalley wrote:

Is it possible that my hub has been turned into a hotspot?

Yes, your firmware has the VM wifi hot spot turned on:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=virgin+wifi+hotspot

You can turn it off from a setting on your myvirginmedia page.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep, it looks like the new VM Hotspot that has just been rolled out on the Hub3s.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

griffin wrote:

Yep, it looks like the new VM Hotspot that has just been rolled out on the Hub3s.

Just beat you to it by a millisecond. Smiley Tongue

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Curse that speedtyping course  Smiley Very Happy

STDalley
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, it's concerning that Virgin customer services were clueless about this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

STDalley wrote:

Thank you, it's concerning that Virgin customer services were clueless about this.

It's not the first thing they've been clueless about. It's been in the offing for a couple of years now.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Here's the original news article from July 2015:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/isp-virgin-media-turns-superhub-routers-into-uk-public-...

It's been on-again-off-again with firmware getting reverted a couple of times, so no guarantee how long this time will last. First time on the Hub 3 though.