Menu
twodogs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Two VM wall boxes: do I need to use a splitter?

Good morning. We’ve just recently moved to a house that has existing Virgin connectivity. It’s a three storey Edwardian semi which, although solid and with solid internal walls etc, isn’t exactly built to withstand a nuclear blast. The people that lived there before us subscribed to VM right until they left and we’ve recently signed up for 200meg broadband and tv, so I’m happy with the state of the wall sockets etc.

The current connection comes in the side (middle) of the house into the dining room and, from the VM wall socket, what I assume to be a standard VM installed cable winds it’s way about 6mtrs to the family room (back of house). There, it splits to the hub and tv box which are about 1.5mtrs apart . In that room, we get a good 200meg connection and all works fine. However, as soon as we move a few metres, the speed drops off drastically. We’ve received and installed the wireless access point thingies and having tried the WiFi extender firstly in the hallway and then on the upstairs landing, we still get absolutely no WiFi signal in the front bedroom, back bedroom or top floor. Both Sonos and Hue, with their mesh networks, work fine throughout the house.

I’ve reset, rebooted, re-paired and tried moving the wired extender to the nicely open and unobstructed hallway (same ring main, good quality Ethernet cable) but this surprisingly hasn’t improved things at all. From the hall to the wireless extender on the first floor landing is only about 4mtrs with clear line of sight.

The siting of the hub itself in the family room admittedly isn’t great, it’s on a low shelf about 60cm from the floor, in a corner. It’s close to the tv, but that’s connected to the hub via Ethernet not WiFi. Is the hub very sensitive to placement? Until recently, I used a Draytek modem/router on a different supplier’s broadband, with whole house coverage, albeit in a slightly smaller house.

I was about to give up and invest in a mesh WiFi setup but then had a thought: there’s a second VM wall socket in the lounge at the front of the house. Rather than using the splitter at the hub/tv box end of the existing, could I use both wall sockets: tv box as is in the family room and the router in the lounge, which *may* give better strength due to placement and room layout etc, or can two wall sockets only be used when a multi room subscription is active?

We’re open to paying VM to come and move cabling if there’s a definite solution but the way the cables are currently routed do make sense due to fireplaces, coving etc. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Martin

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two VM wall boxes: do I need to use a splitter?

If both wall points are still connected to the external omnibox, you can move whatever you like with impunity, so its worth a go.

Have you tried switching OFF the WiFi optimisation feature, and separating out the SSID's?

Have you still got the draytech? If its possible to configure it to work as a vanilla router, you could chuck the HUB in modem mode and connect it, see if you get better results (likely IMHO)

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

twodogs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Bonus points for the use of impunity! :0)

Sadly the Draytek has gone to router heaven after many years of flawless service (although if I do go down the split modem/router/possible mesh WiFi route I’m tempted to look at their solution, even though it’s as fugly as hell), so I can’t immediately test the modem only mode.

Separating out the SSIDs is a very good suggestion, though. In the old house, after the Draytek went paws up we were left with the then current BT Hub and Dolly Daydream’s iPhone 7 was really struggling whilst my iPhone 8, iPad and W10 Surface Pro were all as happy as Larry. After a bit of a Google, I split the SSIDs on that with great success - restoring her ability to buy even more stuff she doesn’t need - so I’ll try that as my first port of call. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

twodogs
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I just wanted to follow up on the above post. After spending several weeks trying and failing to make any inroads with the supplied range extenders, I bit the bullet and, after much research, forked out for some Devolo Magic 2 kit. Form factor wise, they’re very similar to the standard VM extenders but they also include mesh WiFi and, hand on heart, they’re ridiculously good: I’m getting 200meg all over the house. No dropouts, no issues whatsoever, installed in about five minutes and I can confirm that they do not need to be on the same circuit (as long as the circuits are in the same consumer unit). They’re far from cheap but for those that need reliable whole house coverage and/or who work from home, I can 100% recommend them.

0 Kudos