cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Routers on same cable line?

Qualitysmoke
Just joined

I wanted to move my router back towards the center of the house. I traced the Virgin Cable and saw it ran right beside where I wanted it to go so I cut into the cable, put in a splitter and the router was moved. 

Problem is, my firestick is worse in the living room now, so I got my hands on a second Virgin router and tried to put this back on the same cable line but it doesn't work. All lights are going but the media aint flowing. 

How can I get this second router working? Is my only option a either net cabled LAN? This means I have to run more cable which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.  

4 REPLIES 4

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
A. You're not allowed to tamper with the Coax cable - it's against the terms of use

B. Virgin own their hubs - any hub you've acquired from elsewhere is technically stolen goods, which you are now in possession of

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Your newly acquired hub won't work until VM allow it onto the network, and they are not going to activate a hub that you've not bought directly from them, so in effect you have bought a paperweight.

Secondly, if you've not terminated those cables correctly and injected any noise into the system, you will be held accountable for any investigation/repairs required by VM technicians.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Afternoon @Qualitysmoke

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you're having some issues with your service since moving your Hub.

As our users have advised, you can only have one Hub per account and you can only use Hubs that we have supplied to you directly. Hubs should not be sold or passed on once no longer in use - they remain the property of Virgin Media. If you have acquired an additional Hub, this will not work in your home as it is not linked to your account nor is it active on our network.

If you wished to move your Hub location, this is something that we would do for you at a non-fault call out charge of £99. Currently however, we are not undertaking in any non-essential work due to the pandemic.

We would not advise or recommend to cut or tamper with your internal cabling in this manner usually; as mentioned earlier in this thread, it can cause damage not only to your connection in your home but potentially your neighbours also. 

We would be more than happy to come and repair  your cabling for you and restore to it's original state; this would however be chargeable as you have admitted liability; I am sorry. 

I have been unable to locate your account via your Forum information so if you do wish for us to take a closer look at your account and book a repair, please do pop back to this thread. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Put everything back to the way VM installed it and all that extra stuff into the bin.

Then get your own better quality router and wireless equipment locate it it where you want it and connect it by ethernet cable to the Hub3.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.