cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitch Stream Inconsistency

Chris1138
On our wavelength

I upgraded to Virgin Media back in March as I began streaming on Twitch. I have the M200 package and up until late October, had no issues at all: could stream for up to 6 hours or more at 1080p, 60FPS, no problems whatsoever, using an ethernet cable from the Hub to my PC.

However, recently, I have encountered a recurring issue where, 9 times out of ten, I will get to anywhere between 90 - 120 minutes of streaming when suddenly my software (Streamlabs OBS) will report dropped frames, and then my stream will drop out entirely. When I attempt to restart the stream or check the Twitch app, my internet connection cuts out again entirely for a few moments. When it returns, everythign else I use the internet for is fine, but I cannot restart the stream for more than a few minutes before my connection goes again.

Outside of streaming to Twitch, it's incredibly rare or me to experience a loss in internet connection, whether ethernet or Wi-Fi, using any other device or during any other activity (watching Netflix/using my work laptop/downloading podcasts on my phone etc). My download speed never drops below 150MBPS, and my upload rarely drops below 15MBPS.

I know this is not a software or PC issue, as both me and my partner have experienced the same issue on different streaming software on two different PCs with different encoding/bitrate settings. I wondered if perhaps I had an upload limit in my contract, but it specifically states that there is none, and also I have streamed for a solid 6 hours in one session recently with no issue (the 1 time out of 10 it hasn't died on me!). Luckily I do not rely on Twitch for income, but it's been incredibly frustrating to start every stream praying that I can actually go the full 3-4 hours, rather than 1hr 40 before the stream inevitably dies.

I am in the E17 postcode area, and have been experiencing these issues for the last month and a half: using the service status function on the website, reconnecting all cables and ports, resetting the Hub and all the methods suggested online have yeilded nothing.

24 REPLIES 24

At the back of the hub itself where the white coax cable connects.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

267497770_4487964397965620_7107475353603877729_n.jpg

OK so no - internesting.

It certainly seems like a line issue then.

Post the same stats again now following the reboot you did earlier.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Post-reboot stats, taken just now:

virgin5.PNGvirgin6.PNGvirgin7.PNG

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its dreadful - I will flag for VM to come and comment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @Chris1138,

Sorry to hear you have been having ongoing issues with streaming on Twitch. 

I can see you have recently been in contact with a member of our team regarding this and that an appointment has been booked for you.

Please let me know how this goes and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Chris1138
On our wavelength

Update on this:

Technician came on 27/12, said ideally we should have had the router installed by a technician in the first place (we recieved ours in the post and installed it ourselves), as they would have noticed the issue from the start. He said a cable re-pull was needed, but that it might be a week or so before it could be done due to Christmas/COVID etc.

Recieved a text on 29/12 saying the re-pull would be happening on 30/12 between 8AM - 1PM. Never showed.

Recieved a text on 30/12 saying the re-pull would be happening on 31/12 between 8AM - 1PM. Never showed.

Noticed an unspecified appointment had been set up in my account for 11/02 - was never contacted about this previously. 

Mentioned all this on Twitter, VM told me to ring them. Spent 45 mins on hold this morning, but had to hang up due to work commitments. Currently in a queue for website chat, have been waiting for 30 minutes as of 12:47PM.

The saga continues:

After waiting an hour for an agent to jump into the chat, I had to wait another 20 minutes while they transferred me to someone on the right team. They assured me an engineer would come today, 07/01/22 (should have screenshotted for proof, but I was so thankful to finally get some progress I forgot!).

I asked for text confirmation, they said I'd get it within 2-4 hours, but it never came.

Checked my account this morning, and the appointment I previously found (the one I'd never set up or been contacted about) dated 11/02/22 had been changed to 27/01/22. 

If by some miracle the engineer actually arrives today, then great!...but after the last week, I can't say I'm hopeful.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Chris1138,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this issue and your experience. I'm very sorry to hear that your re-pull had not taken place yet. I understand how frustrating this can be.

Have you had any further updates from the team about this issue from the technical team when you contacted? If not, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to look into this further for you.

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

hi @Paulina_Z

The technician didn’t come on Friday 7th, and I’ve had no contact at all from VM since the web chat on Wednesday.