Menu
wayneha50
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Turning off wifi hotspot connections

My hotspot connection is on but I cant for the life of me find out how to turn it off easily. Half the time when i’m out & moving sround my connection is mostly either connecting or disconnecting & is unuseable. 

I dont want to just turn off wifi as i always forget to turn it bsck on. 

Is there a similar toggle button for this? I don’t want to remove the option totally. Just turn it off from time to time

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Turning off wifi hotspot connections

The FAQ and guide to turn off can be found via https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-wifi

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
wayneha50
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying! To clarify, I want to temporarily turn off my phones access to the virgin wifi network without turning off wifi. 

It doesn’t seem like there is any way of doing that. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can limit access by using the virginmedia app, you can turn off the WiFi on hub but this will disable WiFi on all devices

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

wayneha50
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah. Ok I don't think I am expressing myself well (but thankyou so much for trying to help btw!) I'll try to explain in a little more detail. 

When I am out & about, I'm playing Pokemon Go. When I move in & out of hotspots, the game freezes whilst i connect/disconnect which makes it unplayable. I'd like to keep the connectivity if I'm out & in one location to save on my data, but only I guess occasionally. I could turn off wifi altogether on my phone but I consistently forget to turn it back on when i get to my home or office. 

So I'd like the option to occasionally turn my virgin hotspot connectivity on when I need it but not have it most of the time. And obviously i automatically want my phone  to connect to my home wifi when I am back there. 

Does that make sense? I can't see anyway to do that apart from deleting the hotspot profile altogether. 

Thanks! (& sorrry! I am grateful for the replies) 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@wayneha50 wrote:

Ah. Ok I don't think I am expressing myself well (but thankyou so much for trying to help btw!) I'll try to explain in a little more detail. 

When I am out & about, I'm playing Pokemon Go. When I move in & out of hotspots, the game freezes whilst i connect/disconnect which makes it unplayable. I'd like to keep the connectivity if I'm out & in one location to save on my data, but only I guess occasionally. I could turn off wifi altogether on my phone but I consistently forget to turn it back on when i get to my home or office. 

So I'd like the option to occasionally turn my virgin hotspot connectivity on when I need it but not have it most of the time. And obviously i automatically want my phone  to connect to my home wifi when I am back there. 

Does that make sense? I can't see anyway to do that apart from deleting the hotspot profile altogether. 

Thanks! (& sorrry! I am grateful for the replies) 

Most IOS devices (iPhones & iPads) allow you to turn off auto-connect on specific connections. I do this when at home to stop my IOS devices connecting to my own & neighbours hotspots in preference to my home connections.

Use Kudos to say thanks

wayneha50
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes - I think that's exactly what I need. Found the setting too. 

I did notice at home I was also connecting to hotspots instead of my own wifi. 

Thankyou! 

0 Kudos