cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True Story - Unbelievable!

Max787
Tuning in

I called in a Virgin Media engineer today. I was having trouble converting my router into a cable modem, in view to use a 3rd party wifi router

Two (yes 2!) engineers turned up.

After setting the router to cable modem on the web interface, I noticed the light on the router turned red.

1. One of them said the red light on the modem was perfectly normal (I discovered later I had no internet!!!)

2. The same engineer told me I could not connect the cable modem via ethernet cable to access internet (unbelievable!!!) so i had connect to the wifi router to access the internet!

Clearly this did not work, these fine people left and I was left without internet!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For clarification: when the hub 3 is in modem mode the LED turns magenta. All four LAN ports are active but once a router's Ethernet cable is plugged into any of them the other three are deactivated.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
To connect a 3d party router to the Hub in modem mode, just follow this sequence

Set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Max787,

Do you have the hub3?

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port, although I've seen others say it should be top one.

Only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work. 

EDIT - John beat me with a more thorough explanation.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

The engineer came back and still insisted that red was normal and the hub in cable modem mode does not allow direct internet connection

Another engineer came: totally wrong. Colour should be pink /magenta not red....And yes you can indeed have direct internet connection out of the router in cable modem.....

For clarification: when the hub 3 is in modem mode the LED turns magenta. All four LAN ports are active but once a router's Ethernet cable is plugged into any of them the other three are deactivated.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The magenta LED on the hub can look like red to some people.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks you ol Gooner!!

Having looked at what magenta is - yes I had to google it - I can confirm that my hub 3 in modem mode definitely has a red light - nothing like magenta at all - when putting it back to router mode - it is cream colour - not white..

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7