cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting mac to router

Matilde97
Joining in

my router hub3.0 has a constant red light on sometimes the green light of the Wi-Fi symbol comes on and then off again, however the Wi-Fi seems to be working on other devices apart from my Mac that won’t find connection. How the light on the modem should be when it works correctly?

16 REPLIES 16

When I tried connecting yesterday with the laptop it told me that I needed to move closer to the modem, but I was just next to it. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to clarify.... you have a VM Hub (Hub 3) it contains a modem, a router, an ethernet cable port "switch" and wireless signal equipment. A lot of people - myself included think that it is basically a Poundland concoction. However you "MUST" use the modem in it to connect to the VM network - but you can disable the other functions - which then allows you to use better quality equipment for those functions 😎

That is known as being in  "modem mode" only.

The reason you have been asked whether you are in modem mode is because when in that mode the Hub3 base light changes from white/yellow to Magenta. That can look red to some eyes in certain light.  So VM are trying to check that - but the fact that you dont know what it is - means it is extremely unlikely it is in modem mode (they dont tend to spontaneously change modes!) and the light is indeed red. In which case VM need to change it immediately as it indicates an overheating Hub - i.e. a potential fire risk.  Whllst in most cases the Hub isnt actually overheating - its just a fauty LED - the Hub does need changing because that warning system is inoperative.

Any connection issues you are having are highly unlikely to be unrelated to this issue and need looking at in more detail

So firstly connect the Macbook to the Hub on an ethernet cable and see if that connects ok.  If the Macbook has no ethernet port just get an adapter (Amazon) for any port it does have USB3 or Thunderbolt - to RJ45.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The mac doesn’t seem to connect with Ethernet either, and today the modem’s light is definitely more orangy. 
Is there a way to speak with a technician and ask someone to come and have a look without the account password that I don’t have and my flatmate has but is not here now? 
I need assistance 

Hi Matilde97

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

I shall send you a PM now to book a tech in, due to the red light

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi Matilde97

Thanks for joining me on PM and providing me the details to book in the tech visit for the red light on hub. This will be viewable in the online account - virg.in/myVM - later today. You can amend/cancel it if need be.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment
Let us know how the visit goes or if you need further assistance. 
Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Matilde97

Thanks for your message. I have rebooked it for you as per what you said 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi Matilde, changed again as per your message 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team