Menu
dearmanch
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Total packet loss

Hi All, new here

I've been on Virgin phone and broadband now for about 9 months and have had fantastic service so far until a couple of days ago.

I returned home from the bank holiday to find that my wifi had random latency spikes making gaming impossible as I would be kicked from every lobby.

A quick phone call to support had me unplug the router and do a hard reset. Once this had completed I was getting speeds of 800kbps to 1 mbps through wifi and ethernet connections and the latency shot up to 1800 ms at peak times.

Another phone call had me boot into safe mode on my laptop which appeared to fix the problem slightly with download speeds of 40mbps through ethernet (on the 108mbps deal). this was a temporary thing though as even in normal boot and without the laptop on at all i get spikes of up to 40mbps but usually around 1 mbps.

Reading the forum i've seen other threads where people are using thinkbroadband.com tests to find out what is happening so i have done the same, and it appears for several hours a day i'm getting 100% packet loss. I've tried to talk to support about this but I think there is a communication error between us with the language barrier in the overseas call centres. What can i do to fix this as its rendering my broadband unuseable.

Please see the attached photos of my test results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Charlievm.PNGvm2.PNG

0 Kudos
dearmanch
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Total packet loss

vm.PNG

0 Kudos
dearmanch
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm unsure why my photos aren't uploading so i've added them here....

[Removed]

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, links to personal information. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi dearmanch,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community 🙂

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues. I've ran a health check in the background and no issues are showing. 

How are you testing the service please, wired/wireless? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
dearmanch
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, 

Thanks for the response and the welcoming. I have tested the speeds through wireless and wired. With different devices and only one device at a time to eliminate potential issues there.

The fluctuations make using my PlayStation impossible as I'll be kicked from the servers with timeout errors when the ping jumps.

I phoned tech support yesterday from work and they couldn't detect my router from their end but I hadn't had a power cut and the router is on at all times which makes me think that there is an issue with the router itself.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Charlie

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can you do a PIN hole reset on the router?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
dearmanch
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, 

Unfortunately I've already tried that, and I've rebooted it since without luck. 

Best regards

Charlie

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for confirming Charlie, can you put your device in safe mode if using a laptop and try again?

kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
dearmanch
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, 

I've also tried this and it didn't help at all, even with only that device connected. 

Best regards

Charlie

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There is a bug in the Hub 3 firmware which causes it to randomly stop responding to the pings from ThinkBroadband. This shows as 100% packet loss on the graph but is not actually a fault. If you really had 100% packet loss the connection would be completely dead and you wouldn't be able to access anything, not even with slow speed. You may have a fault of some kind but the packet loss is a red herring.
0 Kudos